Hello, I recently purchases a 1980 580C backhoe that need a fair amount of work. I have a house to build and hope this doesn't take long to repair than the time it takes to build a house. It only starts with a screwdriver on the starter solenoid. Most of my switches on the starting circuit are bad(neutral, clutch-cut out, brake cut-out). I'm in the process of chasing down the wiring with a volt meter and replacing the switches. I've read everything I could find posted on wiring for a 580C, but unless I missed it I don't see any info on the large round solenoid that is riveted behind the instrument panel. What can you tell me about it? Does it not fail often since it's riveted in? How difficult would it be to use a newer switch that has power/ accessory/ start all-in-one switch? I was thinking of replacing the key-on switch and the separate push-button start switch with one switch. Thanks for any help, Steve
Dirty, Those starters draw a lot of power so they use a heavy duty dedicated push button for the starter and a lighter duty keyed switch to direct power. You might be able to use a keyed switch if you add a solenoid to handle the power. I've replaced the keyed ignition switch in my CK several times but the push button switch in my C is original and works fine. Some suggest wiring in a solenoid even with the push button switch. Do a search and you may find some posts on that subject. Rewiring is not uncommon. There is a circuit breaker on the starter circuit that is mounted on the side of the motor above the starter. Check the connections there and make sure you have a good battery with a good ground on the machine and clean terminals. I'll have to look to see what solenoid you are referring to that is riveted behind the panel.
Dirty, I have a mid 70's 580c and my machine would not start with the push button either( only screwdriver) I dismantled it and found the button to be faulty so I installed a key switch from TSC (ignition switch) and simply wired the push button connections into it. So far it all seems good! I did not wire in the accessory part of the switch yet but I think I have to or will try as I'Ve killed the battery before by forgetting the accessory switch on.
Hey there, I wouldn't worry about the clutch cut-out or brake cut-out, never did see one that would work right for long, the other guys are giving good info to, its a simple starting system not hard to rewire, DW
My 580 is clicking at the starter but not engaging. Solenoid sounds weak but I can bump start directly with a screwdriver. Possible weak solenoid?
Check and clean all your cables/connections, especially grounds. Oh yeah, how about that whole battery thing, how old? Is it charged? See you're a new guy, usually better to only post your dilemma in one thread. Avoids confusion.