Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C brake pedal travel???

firetech ยท 2016-06-18 16:04

Hello, finished up a complete brake job on 580 c backhoe but..........I have uneven pedal travel. One works as it should. The other will not activate the slave cylinder until pedal is depressed approx half way. I have bled the brakes multiple times with same results. Good side will activate slave immediately and other will not. It will hold the pressure and it does move fluid and holds pedal about 1" from floor (can be seen when bleeding) but again moves fluid when pedal is half way. What am i missing???????????? DO I have a bad master? or is there a simple adjustment that I am missing? I can see the housings while sitting in machine cuz previous owner cut holes in floor pan and when using the pedal locking pin to lock both brakes together the bad side does not even engage cuz it has to travel about three more inches to be at same pressure as the good pedal. Im confused???????

Replies2
  1. #1Operator41002016-06-20 16:50

    Hey, There's an adjustable reach rod on your master cylinders, according to case parts online, check it out might be able to run it out some, DW

  2. #2firetech2016-06-21 07:08

    Thanks Operator4100! I will check it out. This one puzzled me because i could see the rod in the master moving so i assumed it would pump the entire time it moves but maybe not. Happy to report that I at least have braking ability now - even if its only one side.