Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C sputtering when revs up

silverstr8p · 2024-11-30 18:18

I had a bunch of crud in the tank that I spent a long time cleaning, then replaced the filters, then had the pump rebuilt, never did anything with the injectors, started running like this today. Before today it ran great. Should I start with the filters again in case they're full of crud, or do I have something else going on? Looks like my high pressure side of the rebuilt pump is leaking, tried to tighten those banjo bolts, but maybe they're still not tight or I need new brass gaskets?

Replies13
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-11-30 23:47

    I’d start with a filter or 2.. And maybe checking the timing or just twist the pump a smidge, to the outside.. Make a timing mark on the pump and one that matches on the block so u know where u started.. If all that fails, I’d seriously think about getting new injectors.. BTW, how much fuel are u putting in the tank.?? They don’t like 5 gallons at a time.. If u have a laser temperature gun, shoot the exhaust.. That’ll tell u if u have an injector that’s not firing..(cold) U can get one off the ol’ interweb for 20.00 delivered. Good luck

  2. #2silverstr8p2024-12-01 00:49

    I have one of those thermometers you point as stuff, will look. Where do you get injectors and are they stupid money like Ford's pickup truck injectors?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2024-12-01 01:37

    U can get injectors online.. There are literally 20 different part numbers for the injectors.. To get the correct ones, the p# is stamped into the body of the injectors themselves.. They’re stamped with a 5 digit number where the inlet pipe meets the main body of the injector.. between where the inlet comes in, to the top of the injector. You’re probably gonna have to take one out to find it.. Original Stanadyne injectors can cost as much as $100. each.. BUT.. aftermarket injectors can cost as little as $25.00 each.. Use your temp gun 1st..

  4. #4Eric a1cnc2024-12-05 08:08

    Pump guy knows his stuff, Based on personal experience, I wouldn't buy anything BUT actual stanadyne injectors. Tried the cheapies and my dozer only ran good for about 1-2 hours before the cheapies started acting up. Replaced them with stanadynes and 2 years now I think and still runs great.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2024-12-05 18:48

    That’s the same story I hear too.. BUT it’s awful hard to get off 88.00 apiece, when there’s a page full of 25.00 each, right next to them.. Unless your selling the machine, go with OEM’s..

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-12-06 07:53

    I tried aftermarket, Stanadyne and OEM injectors. Aftermarket -- never again. they failed with very few hours on them. Stanadyne and OEM only for me.

  7. #7franklin22024-12-07 10:35

    I can verify you have to put a lot of fuel in the tank when starting from dry. I am guessing his 580c is like my 480c and it's gravity fed from the bottom of the tank. I put some lousy fuel with water in it in my tank one time. Clogged the whole thing up. The fuel tank had a drain and was able to change the filters and get it going. But it would only run a few seconds and stop. I would try to bleed the air off the top of the filter but it would not bleed. Found out I did not have enough fuel in the tank. Once I put more fuel in it, it bled out and worked fine. I looked at it wondering why it would not run with that little amount of fuel, I had run it down lower than that before and it ran fine. I got to looking at it more closely, I think it works like a toilet. Once you get all the air out, the fuel will tend to siphon out of the tank, since the fuel injection pump is the low point. But the filters are higher, so the only way to get all the air out is to fill the tank level higher than the higher point where it comes out of the fuel filter.

  8. #8silverstr8p2024-12-13 00:47

    I added another 10 or 12 gallons to the tank, swapped the filters and it ran better after it sort of warmed up and I started driving, hauling load of shale. About an hour later it started doing the same thing. I probably have some more crud in the tank, going to blow the line out and see if that helps. Yes, it's just gravity feed. I couldn't find the temp gauge, but you people are going to force me to clean my shop now to find it

  9. #9franklin22024-12-13 08:52

    Mine has this neat setup on the bottom the tank. It has a little sump in the bottom with a drain that collects water and other debris. You should be able to open the drain on that and get a lot of crud out of the tank. Thankfully water and crud tend to sink to the bottom. The actual outlet to the filters is higher than the crud sump.

  10. #10silverstr8p2025-03-10 10:56

    Now the injector lines have started leaking a lot more, though the thing runs good when you rev it up and drive down the road, it burbles at idle and produces white(ish) smoke at idle. Here's the current state of the leak, you can see a drip hanging off the banjo bolt. Could a clogged fuel injector nozzle be causing too much back pressure, causing the banjo bolt copper gaskets to leak?

  11. #11thepumpguysc2025-03-10 11:15

    More likely the washers are old and lost their torque.. they torque to 25 ftlbs.. If there’s a restriction in an injector, the pump will seize up..

  12. #12silverstr8p2025-03-10 11:40

    Any idea of what kind of replacement washers to order?

  13. #13thepumpguysc2025-03-10 12:59

    Google: Stanadyne line washers