Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c stab seal

Dgreen4298 · 2021-04-16 12:58

I took my stabilizer cylinder apart a month ago and now I have the seals and forgot what came out of the gland. My kit has a couple extra rings that might fit in with the rod seal but am not sure if it goes there or are just extra. The ring on the left is the rod seal and the 2 on the right might be needed or might not.

Replies6
  1. #1Vetech632021-04-16 14:06

    It looks like, in the pic, the center and the right seals are the buffers. The left seal is the main wiper. They should be in separate inner bores with the buffer in the bottom of the gland and the main just under the outside dirt wiper. Some kits will contain extra seals to for different style heads.

  2. #2Dgreen42982021-04-16 14:52

    There is only 2 grooves in the gland other than the outside wiper. One for the wide wear ring and one for the main rod seal. I do not think that all three rings will fit in the one groove but two definitely will. Question is which one goes with the main seal and in which position and direction. The white one is smooth on both sides, the yellow one in the middle in pic is not smooth and has a lip on one side. On the case drawing it doesn’t show another ring with the main seal. I’m leaning towards just using the white ring as a spacer with the main seal and putting it on the top towards the outer wiper.

  3. #3heymccall2021-04-16 16:27

    Assuming one piece piston...

  4. #4heymccall2021-04-16 16:29

    Two piece piston..

  5. #5Dgreen42982021-04-16 17:47

    Ok thanks. I guess I got one extra part in the kit. The white ring is not shown on the drawing but I’m going to put it in as a spacer next to the main rod seal, can’t hurt anything. Not going to use the thin yellow one. On a side note, number 7 is a steel ring pressed into the gland, number 6. All the other drawings I seen just says NSS next to number 7 and I did not know what it meant, apparently it’s not sold separate from number 6

  6. #6Vetech632021-04-17 07:37

    NSS = Not Sold/Serviced Separately