Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the poop on wiper blades?

emmett518 · 2021-04-16 15:07

In doing all of the routine maintenance, I decided to replace the wiper blades on the front and rear of the hoe. I grabbed my tape measure, and the front was 23 3/4 inches long, and the rear 17.5. Since this was not exactly a standard size for Anco, or Trico, I called the Anco customer service line. They indicated that this size was not a standard item, and I'd have to call Deere. Is this true? Or is it a metric size that will end up being a Bosch product? The mount seems to be different than the plastic locking tab I usually see on my Ford trucks. Chris

Replies19
  1. #1skyking12021-04-16 15:56

    I would take them down to Napa Auto parts and see what the fellows behind the desk can do. Sometimes they're good sometimes not.

  2. #2heymccall2021-04-16 15:57

    If you shared part numbers, someone here could possibly find you aftermarket, even Anco or Trico blades.

  3. #3NH575E2021-04-16 17:27

    What do the ends of the arms look like? You are saying it isn't the typical loop hook design? I wouldn't worry about exact lengths. You could go up or down a 1/2" and never know the difference.

  4. #4lantraxco2021-04-18 01:53

    Do they have the pin or screw through where the blade attaches to the arm?

  5. #5emmett5182021-04-18 05:29

    It’s a snap in fit, but the Bosch blades do not fit. Gotta take them back. I don’t understand why Deere couldn’t use common, aftermarket parts instead of stuff that has to be sourced from dealers.

  6. #6gwhammy2021-04-18 07:20

    It's called money, they can charge to much for something you can't get elsewhere.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-04-18 07:57

    You could cut the OEM arms mid-length and do the same with readily available automotive arms, then braze them together. I would have a generous overlap at the splice. IMHO !

  8. #8NH575E2021-04-18 16:23

    Are they refillable? What about just changing the rubber? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-26-6m...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

  9. #9Bootheal2021-04-19 00:06

    Has anyone priced wiper blades lately??? I feel like Rip Van Winkle! Picked up new blades from O’Reilly’s today. They didn’t have refills!!! They didn’t have two in a pack!!! They are super expensive!!!!

  10. #10colson042021-04-19 06:29

    I was just griping about that to my wife. When I got my license, I bought a rust bucket 86 F150. I'd stop at Walmart and buy 2 wiper blades, a coke, and a candy bar for $10. That same $10 doesn't buy me a single wiper today. I understand inflation has gone up, but wipers are not a complicated item to produce

  11. #11emmett5182021-04-19 06:48

    The Boschs were $27 each. And they claim I’m supposed to replace every six months.

  12. #12Tinkerer2021-04-19 08:01

    Bosch is the best blade I have used so far. It was the only brand that didn't chatter on the windshield on my GMC Sierra.

  13. #13Vetech632021-04-19 08:04

    Use the Rain-X washer fluid and your wipers will last twice as long.

  14. #14NH575E2021-04-19 11:09

    I looked up wiper parts for a JD 310L and both arms look like a typical loop end in the pictures. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/62554/srch/wiper They offered an alternative wiper blade on the front for $19.97. Lengths were in mm hence the odd inch lengths.

  15. #15Tinkerer2021-04-19 12:15

    I have been using since it was first sold around my area. I use it to clean my house windows to. I cut a floor (long handle) squeegee to fit the width of the narrowest window. No more needing a step ladder. Sorry to go off topic. I'm done here.

  16. #16emmett5182021-04-19 12:19

    For some reason, I could not get the loop over the part on the wiper blade. It wouldn't snap in. Could the loop be metric, and the Bosch blades English?

  17. #17NH575E2021-04-19 12:34

    Pull a blade off of one of your vehicles and compare. You might be able to modify the loop if the difference is not great.

  18. #18cuttin edge2021-04-19 14:12

    Never heard it called metric or english before. I've heard fahrenheit and Canadian. They just want you to buy their stuff, and pay more for it.

  19. #19edgephoto2021-04-19 18:19

    Most aftermarket wiper blades never fit real well. Many come with adapters to try and fit them to the wiper arm. My experience is as a professional in the auto business. Many aftermarket blades fit loose and will chatter. I have stopped trying to get a universal wiper blade to fit and just buy them from the manufacturer. Screwing around trying to save $25 is not worth the effort. Before you toss the old wipers you can get extra life out of them. Flip them over if possible so the rubber that has a set to it will flip the other way. Some newer vehicles will actually move the wipers a tiny bit every so often if the wipers are off to flip the rubber so the life gets extended. Wipe them down with rubbing alcohol and even hit them with a fine fingernail emery board to remove the oxidation.