Hi What a great forum I have a 1980 Case 580C backhoe that I am trying to repack the steering cylinder. I can’t get the seal and o-ring inside the gland (pictured) without destroying them. Could someone help me with the proper procedure? This will be my second try. Thank you Ron
I haven’t actually done a steering cylinder but with most gland seals you need to bend the seal in on itself before inserting inside the gland. Once you have it in the groove you can the push the bent part back outwards to sit in the groove. It appears severe but it works. You shouldn’t require any sharp tools (just your fingers or something blunt to help). Hard to describe so here’s a sketch of what it looks like before installing…
Nice drawing AussieChris. Fret not nova481, the smaller the cylinder is...the harder it is to install the rod seal. If you don't have the seal installation tool, which I don't even have, it takes a lot of patience and a dull flat screwdriver (no sharp edges) to install a rod seal in a gland that small. It's really a bi-itch when the o-ring pops out of the polypac seal when you're trying to install that seal. I've cussed those things more than once.
X2 AussieChris .....Them buggers are like tires ..the smaller they are the harder to mount .....As Aussie Chris showed fold it up and say nice thoughts ..
Thanks for all the quick replies and advice I tried folding it up and mashing it in there but the o ring popped out. I tried it on the backhoe without the o ring but it leaked badly. I guess I’ll keep trying. They should sell those seal kits with about 10 extra seals. I’m also getting pretty fast at installing and removing the steering cylinder, under 10 minutes. Thanks again Ron
I use pointy nose pliers or tweezers to hold them, install as per the info above. Make sure the pliers or tweezers are nice and worn so they dont have sharp edges to damage the seal
Warm the seal up in some warm oil to soften it up a little bit. That might just help you get it. Other then that it's just one of those things you make it get in place correctly.
Have you tried grease? Try heating the seal in oil, then twisting the seal back and forth while it is still warm (if it is twistable) to make it more flexible then apply liberal amounts of grease to the gland and insert seals using fingers and or dull tools as advised by others. This always seems to work for me. Good luck