Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c steering cylinder rebuild – help

PaulMckee · 2022-07-22 12:55

In the process of rebuilding (installing new seal kits) both steering cylinders. Any best practice/ help suggestions for removing the rod and piston? I have removed the outer ring and dust seal, then the inner ring that retains end piece (that rod slips through). However, at this point, I am unable to pull out the whole assembly. And it doesn’t appear to be moving any further than it’s designed retaining position. I do have the retaining ring removed completely. A seperate question and suggestion needed, is that on the other side, the retaining ring broke upon removal and over half of it still remains. Very difficult to get something underneath it to leverage it out. Thanks for any help!

Replies9
  1. #1Tommy Bondo2022-07-22 13:51

    JD uses that design extensively and it's a PITA! But anyway you need to press or carefully with hammer and dowel move the gland inwards to access the outer retaining ring. All of it or the gland and piston will not come out. Also cleaning up the corrosion and gunk that builds up in there helps in the disassembly.

  2. #2PaulMckee2022-07-22 20:49

    Thanks Tommy. To clarify, how many retaining rings are there? I have already removed two…. The first one holds the dust seal. Then I removed a second one that I thought retained the “gland” in place. I can’t see anything more that would be a 3rd retaining ring, but when I pull on the rod attempting to remove, it definitely feels like it’s still being retained by something. Is it possible that over time, the Gland retaining ring could bevel the inner cylinder slot such that the gland will not pass freely? Thanks again.

  3. #3alrman2022-07-23 01:02

    That's exactly what has happened. It may come out by hitting the tie rod end with a hammer to force it, but if the lip is too big, you may need to use a small stone or burr on a die grinder - WITHOUT making contact with the chrome rod.

  4. #4PaulMckee2022-07-23 01:31

    Thanks alrman. Exactly. I’m hoping to drive the Gland deeper into the cylinder enough to feel the groove and file or sand it with Emory cloth. Appreciate your response to validate. My first experience with this.

  5. #5Tommy Bondo2022-07-23 09:22

    Yup and now you know why I hate that design. Easiest solution is to drive the gland in far enough to get a small rotary file or flapper disk in there and knock that lip down a bit. Careful not to hit the rod though.

  6. #6PaulMckee2022-07-23 12:49

    Thanks again. Success!! I used a small half moon file and emory cloth. It didn't take much and then it came right out with a little hammer help on the tie-rod end. Now on to the next hurdle.... the wear sleeve on the unibody piston is cracked... on both cylinders. Anyone know best way to get a replacement?

  7. #7Tommy Bondo2022-07-23 13:54

    Don't worry about it unless its literally brittle and falling apart. Most come as a split ring anyway. All it does is keeps the piston from coming in contact with the cylinder

  8. #8PaulMckee2022-07-23 18:38

    That makes sense. These are brittle. Any idea on where to buy. No luck online so far.

  9. #9alrman2022-07-23 20:05

    The part number for the seal kit for the cylinder with double groove piston is D83184 which now subs to D148100. Google shows a myriad of suppliers