Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580c Transmission?

bannerd ยท 2016-07-26 06:29

I recently picked up a Case 580C and was using it for a little while. When I noticed the coolant in the oil.. I changed it with fresh and headed to my shop that was less than a mile away. On the journey there, everything was going well. When I started to go up the hills I had to let off the throttle and wait before I could go again. The machine would move slow but it was almost like there was no fluid for the hydro. I check the levels and they're all full, is there something I'm missing? It doesn't take fluid from the axle does it? Thought that was gear oil.

Replies1
  1. #1sheepfoot2016-07-26 09:19

    580c The first question, is there a dipstick above the starter, if so with the engine running check the fluid level. Total system for your F/R shuttle is around 8 quarts, it does not have to be very low to cause issues. It uses a oil that meets the spec for case tch fluid. Your trans/rear end dipstick in the floorboard near the seat holds 5 gallons of gear lube SAE 90. I would be concerned about water in the engine oil if it shows up again, remove the valve cover and install a hand pump to the rad, and check for leaks on the freeze plugs in the head, also watch for coolant running out the drain plug in the oil pan with the oil drained. This is a issue that will need attention asap. Getting back to driving issues, does the tach work on the dash, Most backhoes will only road in 4th gear on very flat and down hill, the slightest incline will cause you to drop to 3rd gear when driving, almost never 3 or 4 gear in the off road loading/working. The parking brake lever, and cable should be checked for sticking and binding causing brake drag. This being said it also applies to the wheel brakes which if dragging can cause power loss while working and travel. Also if you machine does not have the dipstick at the starter you have a mechanical shuttle. You may need to adjust the clutch or replace the clutch assembly. Your engine idle speed should be 700-750 rpm and max no load 2230-2270 rpm, if adding oil to the shuttle does not help we can talk you thru a converter stall test and some other checks. Have you changed your fuel and air filters, does the machine have a 4x1 bucket, extenda-hoe, cab.