Hi, this is my first backhoe and still learning. I have a 580C, when I bought it the guy told me it has a power shuttle transmission, the F-N-R control on the steering column and a shift lever forward is low and back is high range. When Im traveling in high range the fastest i can get it up to is about 6-7 mph (I have a property thats 7 miles away and it takes me about an hour to get to it. Theres no gear shifting that the trans does while driving. I looked in my manual and it gives speeds for each gear for both the power shuttle and regular transmission. According to my manual I should be able to get up to 20mph. Anyway, should the transmission be shifting gears as speed increases/decreases? I dont have a clutch or another gear shift. It did have a clutch cut out but it's no longer there. It shifts fine f-n-r and fine between hi and low, but i only have 1 speed in each range. Am I missing something? Thanks
Welcome to HEF! We have some smart guys on Case. I'm sure one of them will be along to answer your question. Good luck.
Welcome to HEF, Noytheyah ! There is a four speed transmission in it. Thanks to the good people at Minnparr you can go HERE and download all the manuals for your 580C. The shifting instructions begin on page 67 in the operators manual.
AS Tinkerer said, the transmission lever coming up out of the floor is a 4 speed shifter, it is the common H pattern, 1 being left and front, 2 being left and back, 3 being right and front, 4 being right and back. Does the engine run the hydraulics without bogging down?
One question I have is how many levers do you have in the floor. Another question is are your brake pedals on the right with a clutch pedal on the left or are the brake pedals on the left and no other pedal other than the gas pedal? Some of the early 580C's had mechanical shuttles in them.
Coy, in his original post he said he had no clutch pedal and a clutch disconnect that is presently inoperable so I assumed he has a PS machine, I am wondering if he has a problem with the 4 speed shifter that is not allowing him to access 4 th gear. He should be able to pick out the 4 speed positions easily! We really need more information, I would like him to post stall specs to check the engine performance. I have seen a couple converters fail, the sprag failed and the engine would only pull about 1200 rpm against a stall test. If hydraulic stall looked good and drive stall had way low rpms that would tell us a lot.
sounds like he is using only one side of the trans shifter 1st and 2nd most likely
Did previous owner have the top cover off of transmission and didn't properly place the shift forks when reinstalling? Does the floor plate look like it has been out before? May be time to remove floor plate for inspection and possible realignment...
Thanks so much for the responses. I’ve figured out the problem. Yea I have a PS model just 3 brake pedals and one shifter on the floor. Anyway, after reading your responses I went out to take a pic and a video and when I was in the N position I wiggled it left and right and finally got some play towards the right. After more moving I was able to find 3 and 4th. They’re still hard to select into gear but I just ran it and it runs fine in the two “new” gears. Again thanks so much for the replies.
Welcome to the site. I pick up mine about a year ago. The shuttle "arm on the column" is set up you can go from forward to reverse and back and leave it in gear. There is or should be a button under you left foot when sitting. It is an electric clutch. The thing on the left side, "about the size of a soda can", of the shuttle that moves when you shift the fwd / Rev is a solenoid. When powered it puts it in neutral. There is also a switch on the console that will select how the brakes work with the clutch. When on and you press the brake, it puts it in neutral. This could be bad if you are rolling down a hill and expecting engine braking. With it off it stays in gear, and you have the engine to slow you down. The switch for this to work is on the upper left brake pedal. Under your right foot there should be a set on that locks the differential. Don't step on it, if you have a wheel spinning. Stop the wheel that is spinning step on it and you'll feel it drop down and engage. It should come back up on its own when the diff unloads.
Thanks for the info. My instrument panel has been hacked up and is no longer resembling anything original. I dont think my clutch cutout switch is connected. I’ve wondered how the diff lock works. I appreciate the explanation.
Never, ever turn the tractor with the differential lock engaged. If you do bad things can happen to the locked up gears.
That I didn't know. I've done that but the tires where in mud or grass. I wouldn't on the road...
Lots of great info here. Thanks, all!
Hey Tinkerer, I followed your link to the Minnpar website, but I couldn't find any manuals for the 580C, just a bunch of Skyjacker scissor-lift models. Did they remove them, or am I blind?
MinnPar removed the manuals from their website quite a while ago. Do you need it or just asking ? CNH has the parts manuals online. They are readable but cannot be downloaded.
I need it. I'm looking to get all 3 manuals for the 580C. So far I've found the owner's manual, but no repair or parts manuals. Thanks for the tip. If you come across another free download option, plz let me know.
Send me your email address in a private message. I will send you an invitation to download them from my Google Drive. Here is a link to the CNH on-line parts manual. Case Construction King Loader Backhoe | CASE Construction | MyCNH US Store www.mycnhstore.com It is not as good as the original printed copy. The reason is that they delete some of the part numbers if that particular part is no longer available in their supply system. I do have the original printed parts book in .pdf format.
Thank you!
Hi All, new to the forum and picked up a Case 580c, Looking for any available service manuals that someone might provide a link to? Lots of info on the internet but I would like to read a little about the work. Thanks!
I had a 580 k ser JJG0027517 and would love a repair service manual!!!! If ay one has info or can share one.
If your dealer doesn't have it, you can find it on eBay or reliable sellers. I've purchased case products from here before, you can take a look. Case 580C Backhoe Loader Service Manual
Send me your email address in a private conversation. I will send you a link to my Google Drive and you can download it ----for free.