Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flat front tire?

aighead ยท 2022-01-13 13:18

OK, so I moved the backhoe from its parking spot around to the front yard. I noticed the front drivers side sliding, but it's pretty slippery out right now and I lowered the backhoe a bit to move around, I tossed it in 4wd and go along, as I turned I noticed the front tire separating from the wheel... Boo. Now I'm not sure how to get it back to full. Am I best advised to take the wheel off and take it to a tire place? I tried putting air in it but it seems too removed from the rim to get it to seal even a bit to fill. I can't tell if it's sliced somewhere or not either, doesn't look like it.

Replies21
  1. #1moosefd2022-01-13 13:27

    Put a ratchet strap around it and compress it till it touches rim and put the air to it releasing strap when it seats.

  2. #2James Sorochan2022-01-13 13:30

    Can you take tire off and take it in warm shop. Maybe wrap a ratchet strap around tire and snug it up to get bead back in position.

  3. #3cuttin edge2022-01-13 13:30

    Put the bucket down and raise the front end. Put the air to it and play with it a bit with your hands, it should catch. If you are real adventurous, spray starter fluid in the tire and throw a match in. That works 90% of the time.

  4. #4James Sorochan2022-01-13 13:31

    That moosefd is sure smart. (-:

  5. #5aighead2022-01-13 13:35

    I'll try ratchet strap... I just found a place down the road that can do it too so assuming I can get the wheel off I'll run it down there.

  6. #6Swetz2022-01-13 13:39

    Take the core out of the Schrader valve, and wet the bead with soapy water. Hopefully a ratchet strap applied after the aforementioned will get you back in business.

  7. #7aighead2022-01-13 14:03

    Welp, I found the slice... It sure won't refill that way. $285 mounted... So, also a couple bolts came out when I was taking the wheel off. Does that matter too much?

  8. #8moosefd2022-01-13 14:10

    Should have said sidewall touches rim. My bad

  9. #9aighead2022-01-13 14:11

    I added pictures and a question above... Let's see if a backhoe tire fits in the back of a Honda civic.

  10. #10aighead2022-01-13 14:30

    It's fits! I'm guessing it'll ride up front on the way home...

  11. #11Swetz2022-01-13 15:21

    And you said that you couldn't fit any big rocks in that trunk...LOL

  12. #12aighead2022-01-13 15:55

    As long as it's not a hair bigger than a flat backhoe tire!

  13. #13aighead2022-01-13 17:50

    I'm back in show booty business. I don't want to jinx it but this was by far the most pain free change I've ever done, including on cars. Other than the tire being pretty dang heavy it all went very smoothly!

  14. #14cosmaar12022-01-13 22:57

    did you tube it or buy a new tire? Personally as long as the tire had some good tread I would have tubed it.

  15. #15cosmaar12022-01-13 22:58

    A few of my bolts came out when I changed both of my tires out. Not a big deal, screw them in until the threads poke out the back, put the tire on, and zip the nuts on.

  16. #16aighead2022-01-13 23:38

    New tire, I didn't think about a tube!

  17. #17cosmaar12022-01-14 10:48

    Yes sir. They will patch the tire from the inside to give it strength and not let anything inside the hole and then with throw in a heavy duty tube to keep air. 90 bucks later and you are done.

  18. #18NH575E2022-01-14 11:04

    Glad you got it going. I think you did the right thing replacing the tire. I ought to replace the LF on mine. If for no other reason a machine just looks better when all 4 tires have tread. It was bald when I got it. So was the LR but it got a puncture early on so it got replaced.

  19. #19hosspuller2022-01-14 12:15

    When I bought my BH, it was 20 years old and had a tube in the right front. After a few years, the bald tires were replaced. Forward a year or two, the right front kept leaking since the new tire, I lived with it since it was a slow leak. It was good for about a month each time. Finally, I decided to repair the leak. It was at the fill / valve hole. The tube allowed water and resulting corrosion to eat away the rim. The other side with the tubeless tire was perfect. Long story to reinforce replacing the tire instead of a tube.

  20. #20aighead2022-01-14 16:25

    Yeah, for 300 bucks and new deep treads I'm not too upset I went new. It does make me want to get a new passenger side too though.

  21. #21cuttin edge2022-01-14 17:14

    Really? I paid almost 400 a tire for 4 new 33" tires for my pickup