I found a Case 580C on facebook with two buckets, and a rather new 20+5 dual tandem pintle hitch trailer. The backhoe has some new tires on it. The guy is asking 9500. Does this seem like a good deal to you all? I've never owned a backhoe, what should I look for when looking at this tomorrow? Are there any common issues with these machines? Thanks.
1)leaking cylinders 2)play in pins and bushings 3)oil and coolant levels 4)hydraulic leaks(hoses ,fittings,pumps ,valves ,tank) 5)engine leaks(coolant,oil) 6) hours 7)general shape of machine(clean,dents ) 8)tire condition
I will be sure to look at all of that tomorrow. He said the hour meter hasn't worked since he bought it. He used it to move hay and get rocks out of the creek but he sold his farm and doesn't need it anymore. He said the previous owner was a general contractor and didn't use it very much. For the age, it looks to be in decent shape. The paint still seems pretty good. and he replaced two of the tires, it also has electric brakes on it. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Cab or open ROPS ? Pictures , need pictures !!
Both back tires are new, but one has a nail in it. New front bearings. There is one seal leaking on the right front fork. I'm not sure what that means.
And here is the trailer it comes with.
exhaust is backwards turn it around, and back the hoe on trailer when moving it if you buy it. I had a C it was a good machine.
I have had a couple 580C's over the years and they where good machines, only problem I had where the brakes seems like I was working on them all the time !!!! but for what he is asking its a deal !!!!!
It looks like the right front rim has a missing lug nut or stud. Also, no electric brakes on a 580C, but maybe on the trailer. Check the needle bearings on the steering king pins. That's a good price. Did you buy it? Steve
Along with what Bls repair stated check all your grease fittings at all joints. There is a grease fitting on the bottom of the king pin that no one greases so be sure and look at it. Also the seat pedestal grease point and the outer wheel bearing grease points behind rear wheels. BTW it looks pretty good from the pics, if you think it's a good price then do the deal.
The trailer would be nice to have ! If you don't buy I think you will have a very unhappy little boy !
The trailer alone would probably bring $4000-5000, so a running backhoe for $5000? I'd say that's a pretty good deal. You'll need at least a 1 ton truck to pull it. If you end up buying it, I'd drive the trailer around empty for several miles and make sure the brakes are working. Loaded up and rolling is not the time to find out you don't have any trailer brakes.