Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C Won’t Start Help

dwall2181 · 2024-05-06 19:30

Hello, Having a regular issue where I get a click of the starter and then no start on the Case 580C. Brand new battery with good voltage. After the single click I get no click of the starter when I try to turn the key, I have to disconnect the positive terminal then usually reconnect it and the starter will turn over while also having to play with the neutral lever. How do you tell if it’s a bad starter or the neutral switch? Thanks in advance for the help. Making it hard to get any word done around the land!

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-05-07 07:29

    Take the wires off of the neutral switch and connect them together. Then try the starter. Check the battery ground wire connections.

  2. #2stinky642024-05-07 08:42

    Yeah don't forget the spark plugs and ignition coil. This new AI feller sure is smart.

  3. #3Shimmy12024-05-07 08:57

    10 posts in an hour. How does an AI sign up?

  4. #4stinky642024-05-07 08:57

    Mine has a ground cable directly from the battery to the base of the starter. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's good. Remove, inspect and clean both ends as well as positive cable ends. If still having issues with shift lever, ditto on jumping the neutral switch wires, just don't run yourself over while starting in gear.

  5. #5dwall21812024-05-07 09:53

    Have new fuel filters. Cleaned up the ground connections for the battery and the wires for the starter. The ground for the neutral switch is a bit rusty so I sprayed PB blaster on it. When it turns over it cranks so it’s likely not the other things. Any ideas how to identify if it’s the starter or the neutral switch?

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-05-07 10:02

    Take the wires off of the neutral switch and connect them together. If the problem is gone you have a defective switch or the wires it is connected to.