Hi, this forum has been invaluable in the past so I am hoping for some more help. As you know I have a case580 ck that has just recently developed a new problem. The tractor pulls strong in both forward and reverse, and has a power shuttle, but is very slow to engage when using the shuttle This problem seems to be more evident when the unit is completely warmed up and is present in both forward and reverse The shuttle was rebuilt about 5 years ago.i am leaning towards the shuttle screen but I would think that it would be more of a problem when cold Any help is appreciated Sam
I won't be any help but I do have a question for you how long have you had your 580 ck ? I ask because I sold one aprox five 1/2 years ago and it seems funny that it had a new/rebuilt shuttle in it and it worked the same way as you described your was acting and we never did figure it out it was ordered from a place called golf south equipment and they sent us a new converter thinking maybe after warm up it had just a little to much stall but we changed it and it didn't improve it oppressors and everything checked out good like I said never did figure it out sold the machine
We have had it for about 7 years now and I rebuilt the shuttle about 5 years ago. Right now I am starting to go through all the pressure checks,but due to the fact that when it does engage it will push anything I am leaning towards a shuttle or convertor pressure valve that may be sticking when warmed up. Sam
What type of oil are you using in shuttle. Check the pressures for torque convertor and shuttle.
Do not recall what brand I put in the last time and as for the pressure readings I am waiting for some adaptor fittings The one thing that I did notice was that the failure for the shuttle to quickly engage happens after about 20 minutes of working,but if I turn the motor off for about 20 seconds it will immediately engage I will keep all posted about what I find but keep the ideas coming in Sam
Check the travel of the declutch pedal
Will do . But as I mentioned it will work great for at least 20 minutes of work ,then become very slow to shift from forward to reverse using the shuttle shift, Even when this slow shift occurs ,it still will push strong
I'm thinking the spool in the control valve is sticky and slow to respond after it warms up, just a thought.
I am leaning towards something along the same lines Sam
The only valves that are oil actuated are the main pressure and the TC pressure regulators, the clutch pedal spool and the shift spools are both mechanically linkage actuated. If the dash gauge works you should have a stable pressure when working, and when shifting F to W there will be a quick dip then back to the high pressure reading same as the other direction. The clutch spool travel should be checked, the slotted bracket that the roll pin travels in is where you gauge that spool travel, the spool travel should be 1.100 or 1 1/8 measured from the back 7/16 headed bolt that holds the slotted bracket to the center of the spool roll pin in the slot would be close enough with the clutch engaged, if it not right the bolt that the cam pivots on is a cam bolt, you can rotate that bolt to correct the spool travel, you must loosen the lock nut underneath the tank to turn the cam bolt. Pressures should probably checked with a good gauge to make sure the main and converter are at spec.
I am in agreement with you. The reason that I am leaninining in that direction is that the very slow shift only occurs after about 20 minutes of work ,but if I shut off the engine and restart it will immediately go into gear. While I am at it I plan to pull the shuttle valve body etc. To check the screen. I have read up on the procedure but any tips or short cuts are appreciated Thanks for your insight Sam
Did you get the screen and pump pulled mine is doing the same thing I think im going to use a cherry picker to lift the steering colum and fuel tank just enough to to be able to pull the valve plate off does yours have the filter housing on the valve plate as well if im understanding my coverplate/valve housing should have a filter and fluid flowing through that filter and currently have neither im finding all kinds of things wrong with mine I believe the previous owner did not know what he was doing when he changed from a manual clutch to the torque tube I've had to split it and put the gasket in between the motor and transmission change the injection pump still have to add a transmission cooler (its bypassed until I get the tractor to drive) I got the worst basket case
Welcome to HEF, weldingwrench ! Do you have the service manual ?
Yes I have a service manual however mine does not cover my 580ck mine is the early model
my manual covers everything else but the transmission very well they used a lot of the same parts for many different model's
Got the issue fixed for now we will see come daylight im gunna take it for a short drive i pulled the pump and suction tube found this plugged pick up screen i cleaned the screen and replaced took about 6 hrs this included making new gaskets i now have clutch pressure and it feels like lots of power
just to show some pics of what I started with it was nothing but a hunk of junk hope that some of these pics might help others when I get it all back together i will try and share more pics
Welcome to HEF weldingwrench Not a bad looking hoe really, I'm not sure about that cab looks like it came off of a motor grader, but what ever works. The pickup screen stopping up is quite common on these machines unfortunately. When you go back with the pump and screen do not use silicone because it will break off inside and you'll be back in there with the same problem. I use a flange sealer made by loctite or none at all.