Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580CK backhoe fluid leak

dlang10538 ยท 2014-08-24 10:53

I just purchased a 1972 Case 580CK backhoe to help me on 68 acres that I need to clear. it starts and runs great. the only concern I see, besides two leaking cylinders, is a pretty good leak of some kind of fluid. It is leaking a milky white fluid around the two top bolts that bolt the middle case to the rear of the engine block. I can't figure out what fluid would be coming from this area and what the fix would be. any ideas ? thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-08-24 11:34

    Can you post another picture of it a little further away from the leak ? It would give a better view to see where it is coming from. It could be condensation from the crankcase vent that is usually piped from the valve covers.

  2. #2dlang105382014-08-24 15:43

    this is the only other picture that I took. The machine is 200 miles away right now. It pours out the top two bolts only while the machine is running.

  3. #3melben2014-08-24 21:35

    Looks to me like the torque tube to engine gasket needs replaced, it is a wet bell housing and if the oil is milky it needs serviced with new HyTran and a new converter filter up front at the radiator. The gasket is an engine roll out split to replace.