Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580ck forward issues

cohippy420 ยท 2016-03-04 11:29

Hi I just got my case 580ck up and running 2 engine blocks later... Anyways it had sat for 6+ years. I have an issue of the shuttle shift lever popping out of forward only reverse is fine. It does this in any gear low or high range. It is a dry clutch no power shuttle. I filled with gear oil but did not help the problem. I can hold the lever and it will stay but if I Dont it pops out and starts to grind till I can clutch it. I see there is an adjustment on the lever into the transmission area.. Would that help? This is so new to me and the learning curve is giving me migraine anyways it moves and goes so that's good Anyways thanks

Replies9
  1. #1onemank62016-03-04 13:49

    Hi CO....mine is the power shuttle and it sounds like you have the mechanical shuttle so im afraid i cant help much with this problem although there is a guy on here that goes by the name 1968 case 580ck and i remember he was having a problem with his popping out of gear and something about a woodruff key it may not be the same thing as yours is doing ....but hang in there he watches this site regularly im sure you will hear from him....And welcome to the site do you have any pics you can put up of your rig and maybe of the area where your having the problem those pics help....

  2. #2Juskatla2016-03-04 14:08

    Welcome to the forum, funny how many 580CK guys are showing up... Pictures for sure, in whatever state yours is in. After you have all seen 68case in her new dress, xpack and mine in various states of undress, any pictures will be welcome... Its like tractor porn, we just can't get enough Good luck with your issue, there are lots of guys will long time experience repairing these machines that will look in and off a hand.

  3. #3cohippy4202016-03-04 14:23

    Have pics how do I upload, I Dont see the option, however I'm on the mobile site. I do hope its something simple splitting the hoe isn't gonna happen again anytime soon just got it back together what a nightmare, I'm used to working on old allis Chalmers d19's

  4. #4onemank62016-03-04 15:13

    co.... i will do my best to explain how to post pics but my kids had to show me where you type in the replys there are icons above that box click on the one that is square when you put your pointer over it it says( insert image) click on that one and it will walk you threw it.....yea i just split mine this winter and your right it is a pita and the oter guy on here (juskatla) has his split with the engine stripped down right now he is going to rebuild his engine....heres a couple links you maybe interested in checking out....some good stuff on both about these old ck's HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #51968 Case 580CK2016-03-04 21:14

    Hey Cohoppy.....Glad you made it to this site....we all try to help each other whenever possible. I have a 1968CK with the mechanical shuttle just like yours. As Xpac was saying, my big problem was the Hi/Lo Range shifter popping out of gear and going into neutral.....usually on hillsides....no fun, especially with no brakes other than the Fred Flintstone trick of dropping the backhoe or loader bucket. My Forward/Reverse also has some of your symptons. If I push the selector all the way forward or reverse, she is usually fine. But when I dont quite get the gear engaged, it will make that clattering sound as I let off on the clutch, and I have to clutch again and push the lever again, making sure she goes all the way. This is an issue that I have not researched into yet, and I hope you are right in that we can just tweek the linkage somplace to make the lever action work better. Hopefully some of the experts will chime in about it. Does your Hi/Lo Range ever pop into neutral? When you speak of filling up with "gear oil", are you aware of the different oils which go in the seperate locations? Starting from the front, you have a fill plug under the fuel tank for the torque tube. This one takes a hydraulic-type oil. The next one is the plug beside the Hi/Lo range shifter......in my pic, it is painted red: I believe this one was also hydraulic fluid or the Case brand which is similar. Behind that you have a plug between the 4 speed gear shifter and the rear differential cover....yellow in this pic and a bit hard to see: This one actually has a dip stick on it when you take it out.

  6. #6Nate Craig2022-07-06 18:33

    I have a 1969 580 ck shuttle shift backhoe, when tractor gets warm I lose forward gear but will go in reverse. When unit is cold it goes forward and reverse with no issue's any ideas? I've changed the filter by the radiator. Thank you in advance

  7. #7alrman2022-07-06 19:34

    Welcome to HEF @Nate Craig You could have any number of issues, but if reverse is good & forward is weak - chances are there is a problem with the forward clutch pack. Some have found that by cleaning the charge pump pick up screen improves things a little. Here's some reading for you - around page 10 or 11 maybe of interest.

  8. #8Nate Craig2022-07-07 01:17

    I have read these and seems like that sump tube screen seems to be a common problem. I will have to dig into this farther. Thank you all very much.

  9. #9Ar1519662023-09-11 11:21

    hi i know this is an old thread but can you tell me where the drain is for the plug under the fuel tank. after hours of searching you are the first to mention that plug. please and thanks