I have a 1969 Case 580CK back hoe and am having a problem with one of the tilt cylinders leaking slightly. I rebuilt it and it still seems to leak about as bad as it did before rebuilding. This particular type of cylinder uses the type 1 gland. These glands have a 'snap in' rod wiper and appear to be a rigid plastic ring that has an 'o-ring' in a groove behind it. Wiper picture - Prior to inserting the rod into the gland the snap in wiper didn't have a gap where the sides came together - after inserting a small gap opened up. Also there was a hole for a locking screw - but no screw. And finally there are a few scratches in the rod itself - but nothing too serious I don't think. Any ideas as to why this still leaks? I can provide more pictures if it might be helpful. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello, I rebuild some of the cyclinders and one of the cyclinders leaked just a little bit but after using it a week or two it stopped hope this helped
Welcome to the Forum
The wiper has nothing to do with controlling oil, it wipes water & dust from the rod to prevent contamination of oil in the cylinder. The pressure U cup seal below the wiper controls the oil. Is it fitted correctly? Seal lip facing the cylinder? Was the gland corroded? If there was rust in the gland where the pressure seal sits, the oil can get past the outer side of the seal.
I put the new seal in in the correct direction - it was very difficult as with this style of gland the seal is deeper in the gland then the other styles. The lip faces towards the rear of the cylinder. I wiped out the grove the seal goes into along with the o ring groves. The only thing I can think of is that either oil is leaking from the stop screw hole or the gouges in the rod is letting fluid past the seal.
If the rod has gouging or scoring, that would certainly do it. If you clean it up & dry the area, you should see where the oil is coming from?? Post a pic of the rod scoring, how bad is it?
Here are the pics of the rod and the cylinder. In the first pic I am pointing at the grove that has been cut into the rod - In the second picture I am showing the wiper - it looks like it got mangled when I put the cylinder back together - at the top of the rod you cant see the wiper - but at the right hand side you can see it - is there a secret to inserting the rod after snapping the wiper in place - these are the plastic snap in type again -
Rod does not look too healthy, does the scoring go the hole length of the rod? Re fitting the gland, no real trick apart from lots of lube, being careful during assembly. Usually there is a taper or lead at the rod edge to allow it to happen a little easier.
dstankus, If it is possible you maybe can remove the pin on the rod and turn it 180 degrees and see if it helps. Also make sure the oil is not coming out of lock screw hole.