I am trying to rebuild my power steering cylinders on my original 580CK (1967). The manual (see photos) shows the 'rings' that came in the kit, but doesn't identify which ones are which, or what side faces which way. How does one know which way they go on the cylinder? I put them on 'best guess' and it leaked all over, so I am trying again. Can anyone tell me which way the parts are supposed to go? There was one more in the rebuild kit then shown in the manual. Thanks for the help.
I would need to see pictures of your new seals to answer that.
Did you rebuild both of them ? Did the parts in the new kit match the old ones you removed ? You most likely have the seals in the gland improperly installed or missing / damaged. Hopefully you can carefully dismantle the other one and take photos of the parts orientation in it. This is why we advocate owning a service manual.
I should mention that if you click your computer pointer on the image I posted that it will enlarge the image and you will see the cylinder parts in great detail.
Wow! Thanks cool!