Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580CK Rockford Power Shuttle

LukeWilson ยท 2020-04-28 21:23

Hi everyone, Unfortunately, I'm having issues with my shuttle again. I had the machine apart a couple of years back for some broken transmission gears and while I was in there found that someone else had assembled the shuttle incorrectly and done a pretty crappy weld repair on the shuttle snout. I put it back together and got a summer of light use out of it, then last fall I started having issues with the shuttle. It would sporadically engage in either forward or reverse, usually requiring to rev it way up in order to get it to catch. It seemed low on shuttle pressure too usually only building 30-40psi, then would climb to 140psi when it did engage. I split the tractor again, thinking the snout weld repair had caused the little piston rings to break and was the cause of the pressure loss. Unfortunately that was not the case, and I was back looking for clues. I found a local Case mechanic who had some salvage machines and took a look at my shuttle pump and shuttle. He said the the pump was worn beyond the service limits and that the shuttle was leaking internally. When he put compressed air on either the forward or reverse fluid ports, he said it was also coming out of one of the small holes in the splined sections. From looking at the colored flow path drawings, it seems like this is normal as it is shown as lube/converter pressure. Forward: Reverse: He happened to have another used torque tube assembly out of a salvage machine, which he didn't know the condition of but at a glance seemed to be better than mine. The shuttle pump in this unit seems to be less worn than mine and the shuttle didn't have a nasty weld repair on it. I went through and picked the best steel and friction disks for the clutch packs, Dale @ tractorstuff said the steels measure 0.064" new and the friction plates 0.061". Mine weren't too far off those numbers, so I'm hoping I'll be good. Now, to get to the point of this post. I am trying to confirm that the shuttle assembly is good before I put it back in the tractor as I'm getting tired of splitting this thing. Is there anything I can be checking for functionality or leakage before I start putting this back together? Thanks for any help, I've had a really tough time finding anyone that knows these machines locally. -Luke

Replies0

No replies yet.