While I'm waiting for the cylinder seal kits to come in for my hydraulics I've been going through the rest of this thing and figuring out what else it may need in the mean time. I remembered today that the shifting instruction sticker on the dash is too worn off to read. I tried to find a new one, and also looked through the operators manual hoping to figure it out but had no luck. Can anyone point me to a new one or at least tell me what it says? I drove this machine home when I bought it and remember having difficulty taking off in hight gears but since it didn't seem to want to shift I had little option.Any help is appreciated. I was gonna attach a picture of what's left of the sticker but can't figure out how.
The parts manual will have numbers for the stickers. See the links for some manual options. Availability of a new sticker is unknown considering the age. Operators manual should have shift instructions and diagram. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-580CK...257362?hash=item5b70d87312:g:LGQAAOSwCMVb5kjp https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-SERVICE-...292614?hash=item3655c64ac6:g:dYkAAOxy63FTATdg https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-580C-580-C-CK-Loader-Backhoe-Manuals-Service-Operator-Parts-Manuals-ON-CD/233367292592?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=0047a07a71c74381b6f5865b17cb740e&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=233367292614&itm=233367292592&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1212457/Case-580-Ck.html?page=75#manual That's the correct operators manual right? I read through the entire thing again and could not find anything about shifting. It's possible I overlooked it but I'm fairly certain it did not explain shifting at all
That is for the later model 580CK series B. Here is a link toa 580CK service manual. https://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/CASE (CNH) MANUALS/CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS/BACKHOE (CASE) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS/CASE 580CK MODEL C SERVICE MANUAL/Case 580CK Series C Service Manual.pdf You need the operators manual also. The shift pattern is a standard H with 1st upper left, 2nd straight down from 1st. It may have an addition position simply an S for start position. Those had a neutral safety switch.
Is your machine a direct-drive, four-speed with the splitter? Neither the main gearbox nor the splitter is synchronized - only the FNR shuttle, so it takes a bit of practice. It works well to take off in 3rd high, then (quickly) depress the clutch, move main transmission to neutral, release clutch, depress clutch, move splitter to lo, release and depress clutch again, then drop into 4th on the main. If on flat ground or downhill, you can take off in 4th lo, and to shift to high range you can just let off a bit and "feel" it into high. My dad grew up with these machines and taught me this method. We have a '66 model that I sometimes use to dig graves. On the powershuttle with torque converter machines, I have no idea, but I am assuming that shifting while moving would be difficult or impossible. The operators manuals did not list shifting procedures until the 580C model, which was from the late 70s. EDIT: The 580C's and later were all synchronized in 3rd and 4th gears, meaning that you could shift 2-3-4-3 easily.
If you mean that in high gear it is slow getting up to speed that is normal if it is power shuttle machine, there is no way to shift into any other gear except on the 4 speed, they are heavy for the amount of HP that the engine develops, if the torque converter seems to work better in the lower gears and does not have difficulty pushing into a pile it is probably as designed. If it will not push into a pile of gravel in low gear at full throttle that is another issue. BTW, make sure the throttle linkage is set so the engine is developing max rated RPM out of gear wide open, many complaints of poor performance on a torque converter machine is caused by low RPM.
Yes it's a direct drive/dry clutch, no power shuttle. 4 speed with the hi/lo box and the mechanical shuttle in front of it all. I had tried to double clutch and feel it into the next gear while on the move when I first bought it but didn't have much practice at the time obviously so I stopped trying before I ground any more gears. The low HP factor is why I ask, taking off in 8th if I'm running it to a friend's house across the neighborhood is very difficult to do, but it'll take off in 7th (3rd hi) pretty easy, only problem is that gear is so much slower than 8th. So I wanted to be able to get from 7th to 8th while moving so I don't have to try 8th from a dead stop. Plus the clutch is pretty tired, probably only has a season or two left in it so I'm trying to be as nice as I can to it, and taking off in top gear is not very nice lol.
When up-shifting 7-8 be don't rush the shift. Let the engine RPMs drop enough so the gears match and don't force the lever. Same idea with going back down to 7, match RPMs, you need to rev up the engine when in neutral. I often find not using the clutch at all and gentle with the shifter works well. It goes better if your not trying to shift when on a hard pull.
Yeah it's similar to floating gears in a semi truck, I do a similar thing with my Deuce and a half when I'm slowing down. Just gotta get a feel for what the case likes and how it'll shift