The back story is that I have been picking away at repairs on this old girl for a few years now. I split the tractor some time ago to replace the broken pinion and recently got to the point of reassembly. Does anyone have pictures or knowledge of the shims and parts that go between the shuttle and transmission on the shaft? The manual is a little unclear and I failed to take any pictures when I took it apart. I am aware that the sims go in front of the clip but I have a larger shim and ticker non metal piece that appears to belong as well. Do those last two pieces go in front or behind the clip?
I believe the fiber washer goes at the back of the shuttle and then the shims go between it and the clip. Maybe someone with a service manual will chime in and tell you for certain.
Look here. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...erica/cn/B8D06496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6
Thanks but I have the service manual. I just don't see this fibre piece anywhere. I have gone through the manual over and over trying to find this piece. I also have to much large shins left. Again I cannot see anyplace that they fit. They seem far to big for this application.
Thanks, I was wondering that but it does not show it there, although it is the same size as the shims. Advice for anyone else taking this job on, take pictures and/or make extensive notes as the manual seems to have some things not present. Could be future changes that occured later in the machines life. While reviewing the manual and online parts catalogue I am starting to think the fibre piece is what's referred to as a "collar."
If you have the service manual there is a section in the back of the book (or used to be in the original manuals) marked misc. This section showed how to split the tractor and how and where shims were to be placed.
Just to update in case someone searches this. First of all we still aren't sure where the fibre shin and the two larger shins came from. That's for another day. All the smaller shins are back in place in front of the c clip between that and the shuttle. We took a chance and just used those, attached and measured and we were right in spec. However upon reassemble I still had the same issue, no movement. I took a lot of thinking and testing but we narrowed it down to one good possibility and dove in. ultimately what happened was that during the initial reassembly, the shifter forks did not end up grabbing one of the gears. Instead it pushed it back. Basically the transmission was locked up with that gear pushed back. We got the shifter in correctly and everything seems to function fine now. Again, for anyone searching, something to look for. The give away was when we were rolling the back half back together with the front and it did not want to roll. We attempting to roll the tractor in neutral and it would not move. At that point we knew something was right in the back half (transmission or diff area). A little more thought and experiment lead to the shifter.