I have seen these wood splitter attachments that attach to the hoe once the bucket is removed. I split a lot of wood each year and I fell in love with watching these work! I have a traditional wood splitter but as I get older wrestling log sections onto or under the splitter gets harder each year. The kind I have seen mounts in place of the bucket and the wedge mounts to a thumb. The action of the bucket curling pushes the log end into the wedge on the thumb and it splits the wood. The thing that makes it attactive to me is that there would be no wrestling of the large round heavy log ends rolling or lifting them under or on a traditional splitter. The Side Tool company www.sidetool.com sells some mainly for mini excavators but they will make one for a backhoe. I like the thought of splitting wood with the hoe and not having the physical issue of wrestling with large cuts of wood. Curios if anyone has one, this picture is for an excavator but the principle is the same
That's cute as hell but when I hit 65 I started buying my firewood. It's cut and split by somebody who's young and dumb. How much wood do you use a year and what would it cost if someone else did all the work? Looking at that thing I see you still cutting down trees and hauling them to your yard and then splitting the rounds. Pay the young and dumb for that grunt work, they need the money and why the hell would you want to do all that? They'll even stack it for a little more. Joe H
My 88 year old contractor friend has a wedge about 8" longer than the bucket teeth that he pins over the center excavator bucket teeth. He uses his thumb to lay a piece of H beam against the front of the tracks. Then he simply used his wedge on his bucket and slides the rounds against the plate to split them. I was surprised at how fast he could line them up and split them like that. By dumping the bucket enough to point his wedge downward it was east to move the pieces into place or reposition one without the rest of the bucket pushing them all around. When he gets cluttered he scoops them up with the bucket and dumpes them in his trailer to take to the stove. He does mention that they warm the body one less time that way, but that he is OK with that. He uses a 40,000 lbs excavator but thinks a much smaller one would work fine.
wife showed me a FB video of a splitter somebody welded up, so it pinned on the center tooth on a 12~20 ton excavator. It split the round 6 ways, and the rounds and the ground were frozen solid. The wood just exploded! He'd float over it, chop, and you could see how frozen the wood was. It was slick but only useful in the frozen north.
Cute but looks like just as much work as any log splitter and a lot of wear and tear on your machine for what? Joe H
I've only split wood a tiny bit, with a standard horizontal/vertical splitter but this looks much preferable to me! I don't heat my house with wood so much but something like this would make it much more reasonable to do so.
I have a traditional hydraulic wood splitter, and I just use the backhoe with a hydraulic thumb to set the big heavy rounds up on a stand that I have on the side of the splitter. Not perfect, but it sure helps the more I get geezed up.
My splitter is anything but traditional...LOL I do not use my equipment to split wood at all. I do use the loader to carry it tho. My splitter is home made. It has a log lift that I LOVE. I previously made a splitter with a crane to lift the logs, but the log lift is the bomb! My splitter has a 3 cylinder Briggs& Stratton (Daihatsu) diesel engine taken from a Toro mower The axles are from a jeep, and the rear drives the machine via a hydraulic motor (ross) Steering is controlled by an electric solenoid valve Again, anything but traditional, but can shear a log at just above idle...It is a beast . I really see no need for a splitter on my equipment at this point...just me tho.
I use an axe lol
an axe, somehow connected to a diesel engine...rite???...LOL
Would probably be a little more efficient with a better operator but a lot more work with a chainsaw cutting the pieces short enough to fit the splitter.
If I was to invest in a firewood attachment, it would be one of those units that mount on a skid steer that picks up a log, cuts to length and then splits the wood. Some of those are now sold for under $10k. I've thought about one of those modified to fit the excavator but I really don't burn enough wood to justify it. I've thought, many times, about a firewood business with a processor but then that takes employees and I just don't want to deal with those kind of issues. The best thing that I've found for firewood is slabs sold at the local sawmills. All I have to do is make passes with the chainsaw to cut it to the length I want it. Usually no need to split anything unless it was a huge, wide slab. Easier to pick up for the wife, usually easy to stack in the stove. Maybe a bit messier than split rounds but I stay warm for cheap - usually $15 for a large bundle (roughly 4' diameter x 12' long) of mixed hardwood without hickory. Hickory brings $20/bundle. I can usually heat my place for 2 bundles per winter during the coldest periods with wood while the heat pump works everything from 35 degrees and above. I have yet to find an easier or cheaper source of ready to burn firewood than slabs.
This might be what you have in mind for a splitter attachment
If you were to sell firewood, I do not think my design would be the best. I have seen some of the skidsteer processors work at a dizzying rate, and as stated above, they eliminate the need for cutting the log to length. I use my machine for my wood burning stove, as well as to supply firewood to an outdoor fire (you can see it in my 3rd pic). For the wood stove I keep the lengths short. When splitting for the outdoor fire, I make the logs about 30". My design is lacking an output table, which I tell myself I am going to build every time I bend over to pickup the split pieces ...the old back! Not a commercial for the place but there is a site online that sells parts for the splitter called splitez. I purchased the reservoir, pump, valve, cylinder, and plow steel wedge from then. It is a mom and pop type business that actually answers the phone and will talk to you about what you want to do. With the 5" cylinder, the return could be a little slow, so I added a regenerative valve that will take the returning oil from the blind side of the cylinder and add it to the rod side...really quickens up the stroke! If I really wanted production, I also could have easily added a 4 or 6 way wedge, but I opted not too...may make a slide-on version so I can release. The valve that I used is a detent valve, so, I pull the 2 levers and the cylinder goes forward. At the end of the stroke it automatically returns...this is when I am stacking the pieces that just split. I believe this option adds to the quickness of operation, although I am not in a hurry. With my self propelled design, I drive right up to the logs I am about to split. This minimized the physical work that I must do.
I am going to be building a house soon on 15 acres of wooded land in the next year or two. I will have a pretty decent pile of wood that I could burn. I hate splitting wood by hand. I love that drivable log splitter. Most of the trees on my land are 18-24" in diameter. No real old growth trees. I am guessing that 100 years ago the land was pasture or at least all the trees were cut for timber. Once I burn through the pile of wood from building the house and cleaning up everything that has fallen and is good for firewood I will switch to coal. I had a coal stove in my previous house and I loved it. 2500 sq ft colonial and I heated it with the coal stove. I burned just under 2 tons per winter. House was nice and toasty. Only have to shake it down and fill the stove twice a day and empty the ash once per day. Shoveling a ton of coal twice per winter is much less work than cutting trees, splitting wood, stacking and carrying it into the house. Also made way less mess. You can spend more money and buy coal in bags like pellets.
Edgephoto....you are correct, the wood makes a mess for sure...and the wife is always reminding me of that fact But, free heat is a good thing. I have honestly never even seen a coal stove. My mother-in-law had a neighbor with a pile of coal in his driveway every winter, and swore by it. The stores up by my house in PA all have the bags out all winter, so someone must buy it up there. Many up there rely 100% on wood for heat as it is readily available and free. I do not want to be 100% dependent on wood as I am getting older and the body may give out, so, I want some fossil fuel to go along with the free wood. How big are the chunks of coal you burn? Again never seen a stove in action, and the guy by the MIL always had it covered down.
I have 15 acres of woods so I can burn free wood as long as I am able and/or willing to do the work. Coal is much easier. My current house has no fireplace or wood stove. I miss that nice toasty heat. My hands and feet have both been surgically repaired and my knees are currently getting physical therapy. I may not be able to do that kind of labor down the road so I want to be prepared. My wife has two bad shoulders so she is not helpful for this stuff. I mostly will be using the stove because I like it vs. free heat. I will have a conventional oil fired system for convenience. A coal stove looks just like a wood stove except there is a grate you can shake and an ashbox under the grate. You can burn wood in a coal stove. Actually that is how you start a coal stove. You light a wood fire and switch it to coal. Very even heat, nice blue flame, very controllable. Only need to add coal twice per day when running, once per day when throttled down. Shoveling coal is much easier than trap rock because it is slippery. The coal I burned was nut coal. Nuggest are 3/4" to 1-1/2" or so. You can store a ton in a 4'x4'x4' space. My old house took just under 2 tons per year. New house will be smaller and much better insulated so I bet a ton will last most if not all winter. I would love an automated splitter like those skid steer ones but the cost doesn't make sense for me. Would be cheaper just to buy the wood split.
Thanks for the reply edgephoto! I find the coal interesting, and my look into it going forward. I agree, heating with a fireplace/stove is good heat. And, yes, our bodies are the limiting factor.
When you can't or don't want to do wood I think it is superior to a pellet stove. No electricity needed. They do make some that take pea coal and have autofill hoppers like a pellet stove.
5 or 10 minutes with an axe the odd cold evening.I pretend it is good for me.
My house plans had a fireplace. I told the architect to erase it and add closet space there. I have a switch on the wall that heats my house just fine. If the power goes off I have a Diesel generator.
I guess I'm just a weirdo. I actually enjoy cutting firewood. That is when I can do it at a relaxed pace, in decent weather. I always get a kick out of the people who would never dream of cutting firewood because it is too much work. Yeah, the same people who will spend $25 per month on a gym membership. BTW, I am WAAAAAY too picky about my firewood to ever buy it from someone else. Yeah, I'm "that guy" who trims all of the knots absolutely flush, and cuts all of the pieces to just the right length.
A sawmill is the best firewood creating machine known to man. Run a mill for a few days a week and you will so tired of firewood that you will start giving it away to anyone who will come get a load!
@Swetz that splitter is sweet! @Mr580backhoe! if nothing else that attachment looks pretty enjoyable to use! I'm also pretty interested in you guy's coal discussion. Any clue what a ton of coal goes for? I assume it's also regionally drastically different prices, so maybe not an easy answer. All this is predicated by a propane tank fill, I came home to, Friday, that for some reason cost 3.92 a gallon. I'm pretty sure someone screwed up as the neighbor just filled up for 1.90 a gallon. Ours has never been nearly that much and it's about triple "normal" price. 1600 bucks for a fill up is too much! The wife is calling them today.
Thanks aighead! aighead, I hope that is a simple screwup, but energy prices have been on the rise recently, for some reason !
I'm gonna hurt you guys feelings. In the winter time my propane bill would equal my summer time electric bill and the electric bill would only drop 25%. Between that and the additional fire hazard I decided to go all electric when I built my house in 93. My electric comes from a non profit co-op. Every year I get a check for the excess profits that were earned 20 years back divided by the number of members for that year. Usually $60-$90. My average bill for the last 14 months was $219 with the high at $307. I got no incentive at all to go out in the cold and split wood.
NH575E, I do understand that a wood burning stove would not be a priority living where you do. Insulation from the heat would be more the focus, and a good A/C system...LOL You are a lucky guy to be able to get power on the cheap! NJ is one of the highest power costs in the US. Of course, we are not quite to NY or California levels. My PA house is less expensive than NJ, but not living there, we do not use that much. As far as A/C, we only have a couple window units that only fun a couple of the really humid days in the middle of the summer. Most nights in the summer with the windows open it gets nice and cool in the house.
I have that knob on the wall and can dial up whatever temp I want. I want a stove for the coziness it provides not for any kind of cost savings. That would be a plus but not my motivation. My previous house had a coal stove and I loved it. I miss having that type of warmth in this house. We are planning a build and a stove is a must. This house I am in was built in 1910 and I have replaced the windows and insulated it. I burn about 400-450 gallon of oil per winter. I am expecting my new house to burn 300-350 per winter, less if I run a stove. I do not really enjoy doing firewood. It is not relaxing to me but I have done it and it is a good workout.
I would never be without at least a backup wood stove. It's a backup that always works, if the electric grid is hot or not. The wall switch is nice but I like belts and suspenders. And staying warm.
Aighead, I don't know if your propane company offers or you're enrolled in some kind of price lock system, but before I got hip to my company's shenanigans, if I wasn't locked in we got the sweet low price at the beginning of heating season...then "market fluctuation" kicked in when demand was higher..damn near tripled the price one year...after a heap of heated discussion on the phone and threats to cancel service we got the price lowered and locked..gotta watch them suckers...And don't forget it got cold and snowed in Texas so I'm sure that's why propane prices are going up in The Buckeye
I think we were locked into something for the first year or two and at some point it appears as though our account was bought out by someone else, but they didn't really tell us that. I completely understand that the market goes up and down for this kind of stuff, and I'm willing to accept it to some extent but when the neighbor, about 1000 feet away, gets it for 2 bucks cheaper, per gallon, it seems crazy. I forgot to see if the wife called them yesterday, we've got some big life things happening so her mind was likely elsewhere. I'm pleased to be on propane. Like someone mentioned above it's nice to have some guaranteed heat if the grid goes down and, in my old house, it wasn't unusual to have $3-400 months for electricity through the cold months.
Im still young enough and have 80 acres of woods. The house has a fireplace and a wood stove, the shop has a big wood stove. I cut and burn around 13 chords of wood a year. So yes I use a lot of wood. It all payed itself back when I was -17 degrees last week and had no power. Worked out well.
Thats what I am thinking. There are trees I tackle that are 3 foot in diameter. I can cut slices into those size trees and are 18-20" long, but its still a big 3 foot diameter disk that weighs a lot. On those big ones it would be nice to use the hoe to jockey it around and split-I think??? Thats why Im wondering if anyone on here has used one?
WHoa!!!!! Now that is an Awesome Machine!!! You win for the coolest log splitter I have ever seen. What a beast!! I would love to build something like that some day. I have an extra jeep frame, beams and axles. I have a few V8 Engines laying around too. That is awesome. Perhaps I could build a 304AMC log splitter like that some day!!
Yeah and that guy has the exact same kind of machine I do. His home made one looks pretty good. But by the time you add the materials, your time etc its hard to beat the price of the guy who sells them.
I bet the coal was cheap to buy too. Coal is so plentiful in our country but it gets a bad wrap.
I have propane in the shop to start it off on those days when I havent been in there for a few days, and its 20 degrees in there. The propane will heat it up fast, but I want the wood to be the primary once the chill is taken off the place.
So I was at a Tractor Supply near my house in PA last night. As I walked thru the door (in the foyer area) there were pallets of 2 types of coal. I prolly wouldn't have noticed them were it for this conversation. The local food store always has the bags out front in the winter. I have a hunch that coal is a lot more popular than I thought. I am going to keep that in my mind when I purchase a wood burning stove in the future. I will look for one that can also do coal, as a nice backup to wood. As stated above, it looks like a lot of energy can be stored in a small space. That might be helpful if I was to get snowed in with limited access to my wood some day...backup plans are always good in my mind! Fred from MO, Thanks for the coolest log splitter award! Not splitting too much today...LOL...But I would bet she will fire up almost instantly when the snow melts. That diesel just purrs too, no matter how big the log is! Got so much snow my cover has given up the ghost, oh well, a good reason to put a nice roof over it
Swetz.... Lots of coal to be had round these parts.... one of the few places in the US where the 'hard' coal lay. Was never used to generate elec..... that was the soft coal out in western Pa. This was used in steel making..... and to heat buildings. Lot of btu's/volume compared to the soft stuff. Its delivered in a dump that brings it by the ton. Old valley homes stored it where it was used..... in the basement. Trucks all carried various chutes to get down below. Our daughter's in-law uses it to heat an old 2.5 story farmhouse..... 3 ton @ $570. I remember it @ 90/ton back in '80... Not as quick to get to heat...... but easier to maintain a level than most wood stoves I've seen. Auto stoker stoves built here in Pa make for nice set-ups. All kinds of dual systems to be had...... coal/wood Though handy storage/move around wise.... you wouldn't want to buy it buy the bag to heat for a season. Not a "pretty" fire to look at though........ cleaner than most old wood stoves.... though not sure 'bout some of these newer wood stoves. They have built some 'boxes' that seems to get most stuff combusted. ...and needed to compliment your splitter!!! and you can use it to go down to the mailbox to fetch the mail!
A mate of mine has adapted his log spliter to run off the blade circuit of a 4 ton excavator. He also has a grab with a hotsaw on the excavator as well. When he wants wood he hooks it up, heads down the paddock and with the digger stacks the wood. Then he connects the splitter and gets into the stockpile. His wife brings down a small tractor with a tip trailer which he loads and she carts the wood home. His last job for the day is to stack the fire wood using the digger of course. It's the best no sweat firewood operation ever.
I hear you! Cutting wood for me is relaxing. In most cases, I am cleaning up a tree that fell over one of my roads through the woods that I cant drive around. So in that case I am doing the following 1) cleaning up a mess that needs cleaned up anyway. 2) Using the wood from the mess to heat my home. 3) Getting some exercise 4) Getting outside and enjoying nature 5) Saving money on my electric bill come winter time. This past couple of weeks I burned through a ton of wood. It got down to -17. I had the wood stove going in the basement, the fireplace on the main floor and the woodstove in the shop. The electric furnace didn't kick on once. Plus without power none of my pipes froze. I have a generator to run the well and other things electric, but the heating part comes in handy and I enjoy it. However I always look for a better way of doing something. The backhoe attachment looks pretty neat for those big logs. There are some trees that are so big, I just don't want to waste all that good wood, but yet wrestling with those huge chunks are getting to be a challenge. Smaller ones are no big deal.
Thanks for the info T-town! and you can use it to go down to the mailbox to fetch the mail!...LOL
Fred, Love the old tractor and the awesome trailer...what truck donated it? Nice pile of wood too! For me, it was actually therapy to build my splitter. Job isn't what it used to be, so I would come home and get into the zone building the splitter. Before you know it I forgot my work related woes. It also became a magnet to all the neighborhood guys that would stop by because they thought it was cool...an excuse for a couple of beers! Now that it is mostly complete, I really do not mind splitting wood. On my list, splitting wood is nowhere near as bad as having to spackle sheetrock...LOL
Love that old green tricycle! (Yes, I know it's not technically a tricycle)
A couple of pictures of my main wood storage area. Getting a start on next year's supply.
another idea..but it seems hard on the boom..lol https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159604418567642&id=650112641&sfnsn=mo personally i built this and it works well..i burn 5 cords at my house and around 4 at my shop per year..
Splitters are great, processors are better. In my view anything hanging on the end of an excavator, backhoe, or skid steer is akin to that infamous monkey and his football. Watching even a good operator chase wood makes me cringe. I have a 20 pound sledge hammer, but I don't usually use it to tune carburetors. Horses for courses, just because you have it doesn't mean you should try to do everything with it.
I think that would be a neat project to make something like you did. It has inspired me to think about it. I think I have everything to build one but the beam and the hydraulic steering motor. In regards to what donated the trailer in my picture, its about a 1970 ford pickup truck bed I bought about 11 years ago for $200. It still has the ford 9" in it and a buddy of mine told me I could get my money out of it if I ever sold the rear end to a race car guy? We hook the trailer up to the tractor, then the splitter behind the trailer. I am like a long train as we snake through the woods. But we split and then chuck the split wood into the trailer and bring it back to the wood storage area. That we in most cases we arnt bending over to pick up the wood sometime later. I have a dump trailer that I can put behind the tractor but found that its neat to dump a load of wood on the ground, but then your left picking it up and stacking it. So if we chuck it into the pickup trailer, we just reach over the side to stack it for long storage. More efficient that way. The issue I have is dealing with the 3 foot diameter slabs and positioning them under the splitter when the splitert is turned vertically. That wood is heavy to maneuver. I would think for those cases, a backhoe splitter would be handy
Is that wood and tin cover just setting on those fence posts? If so how does the wind keep from blowing the cover off?
Its screwed down to framing under the steel. You can see the screw heads on the topside of the steel in his picture. Or nailed, i can't tell in the picture if they're old steel siding nails or the newer style screws
Whats the story on the wheeled dozer? Quite the beast you have sitting there
Hey Toxic, Nice splitter! I have the same grizzly, actually 2 of them (wife and I). How do you like those bighorn tires? I am needing new tires and my son swears by the bighorns, so I am thinking maybe. They are a bit spendy, indeed!
Fred, I love the wood train! That old ford trailer sure gets a workout with that much wood in it. Your friend is correct, the old ford 9" rears are used in racing. In fact, since Ford stopped making them, and aftermarket company is now manufacturing them$$$ The reason they are sought after is the fact that the pinion is supported by three bearings as opposed to the 2 in most rears...makes them hard to blow up, although in racing anything is possible. Anyhow, to me, it appears that this trailer exceeds the value of the rear in the work it does for you! It is funny how we worry about bending over as we get older....when younger, one doesn't even consider it.
Swetz...those big horns are the best tire i hqve ever had for all round use..there is 10,000 km on those ones currently and they still lool good enough to me. just make sure to get the oridginals and not the crappy 2.0 ones
Toxic, Yes I have heard the 2.0 is crap, they r stock on some machines tho.
Haha, yes, basically the roof just sits over the top of those posts. For as poorly as it is built, it has served me really well for about 10 years now. The wood stacked against the posts helps to stabilize it. It is really shaky when it is empty. As I use the wood through the winter, I am refilling it with fresh wood for the next year, so it is basically never empty.
I bought that old Michigan 280 wheel dozer almost 20 years ago. Runs and works great, but I don't use it much now that I have a backhoe. You will never find a log that it won't pull though!
Reason why i asked is i was thinking about building a wood "lean too" by the shop. Something similar in size to what you had, but your set up looked much easier to construct, so I was curious how it was made and its sturdiness!
... the only thing better than a fine looking stack of firewood..... an endless stack..!! Cut firewood for years for myself and my father -in-law.... they ( and wife's uncle) would chalk mark every log.... 16"... like clockwork. Chalk and 'sticks' were always in the chain oil crate. Sure made for a fine looking stack of wood.
I am anything but a builder. I basically just planted 3 heavy duty t-posts at each end, 20 feet apart. Bored 3 holes half way through a couple of 4×4's that are 4 feet long (if I remember correctly) so that they sit down over the top of the t-posts. On top of those 4×4's I put a 20 foot 2×12 in the middle, and a 2×8 on each side of that. Put down some 1/2 inch sheeting to support the metal roofing, and that was it. Surprisingly, it has withstood some pretty strong winds with nothing but it's weight holding it down. Yeah, it's mighty crude, but works well. Been telling myself that I am going to improve it some day, but I never seem to get around to it.
A few pictures of the crudeness. As you can see, the t-posts bend out a ways. That's why I strung those tiny cables between the ends.
Came across another unique splitting tool. If you are impatient like me you can jump to about the 20 minute mark to see the splitter in use and the 25 minute mark to watch the grinder.
Both of those seem both effective and not at the same time. I could see the auger getting stuck a lot and the grinder seems small but looks like it gets in there surprisingly well, even on areas that look too small to catch the tip.
I subscribe to Andrew's channel over a year ago. I love his work ethic and willingness to take on anything, but my god, he is a butcher!!...LOL Anyhow, I had seen that video, and thought the auger was ok, but the splitter, well, not the best. The stump cutter/grinder reminded me of a forstner bit in the way it peeled away the stump. It seemed to work, although I cannot imagine it lasting near me with the rocks everywhere and literally grown into the base of many trees. Not sure what it cost, but I am sure once you own the auger portion, the stump cutter/grinder in cheap.
Hey Swetz ... I just figured the trees "ate" those rocks..?? ...I know they're 'spit' back out after the burn pile is done !! Speaking of piles... the mud is getting much drier and this weekend looks to be a great stretch, hope your getting close to back to work up there in God's country. I've got my cylinders back from a repack and will finish that install this weekend. Fresh filters/oil and top off the hydro and fire the old gal up. Then we have some new trees for the burn pile..... roots/ rocks and all
Hey T-town, Glad to hear that you are about to get your machine back up and running!! LOL on the spitting the rocks back out!! Was up on the property last weekend and finally was able to take out the quad. I still have a bunch of snow at my place...almost got the quad stuck it was so deep. Anyhow, the water is really running by me, cuz of the melt. I have my fingers crossed for a dry spring so I can get back to the work of prepping the pad for my garage/shop. I took a week of vacation starting next Friday...hoping for a dry week, but my luck is rain every day . I have 2 swing cylinders that I also want to rebuild this spring, so they don't let go and hold me up when I am working on the pad...they currently seep. YES...GODS COUNTRY ...at least my happy place...LOL
Yes.... definitely lots of water running off the hilltops.... creeks are high but clear. 3/4's inch of rain today to 'wash the roads'. No frost left to speak off unless its under pine trees. We'll see this weekend how stiff the woods are. I have fill material 'round the build site that was put down last season and that is tacky in spots but dry in others. Lucky to have the modified gravel driveway down ..... without it I think the mud would be too much at this point. My swings and loader's were seeping bad. Was trying to get to the 'end' of it last fall before I shut it down and dealt with them. The 5 gal buckets of hydro were starting to add up!! The last cylinders on the hoe that I hadn't repacked yet. I'm looking forward to a 'dry' machine. Good luck with your weather....
Split fire is the fastest nicest wood splitter I have ever seen. Not sure who makes it. Hardwood here, cut split and delivered is about 250 bucks a cord. Eight foot delivered is around 150. The guy I always bought from, doesn't like me, or has found a place with all yellow birch. It gives great heat, but there is no splitting it with an axe. I had a flu fire one spring. Always had small ones, you could hear the stove chugging. Go down stairs, close the drafts, and she's out. This one was chugging like an old steam train, and it was starting to shake the house. I opened up the hall closet, and could see the orange through the cracks in the bricks. Screwed the drafts shut, ran for the phone, and as I dialed, the chugging stopped. Never fixed the clay liner. Sold the stove. What I save on insurance, I probably pay in electric heat. Those damp days in the fall, I really miss the wood heat though.
Just saw this. Same guy previously posted but new video.