Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580ck transmission and power shuttle questions and problems

Honey Badger ยท 2015-11-13 19:23

I have a 1967 Case 580ck S/N 8318229 diesel with a power shuttle. I got my reprint service manuals in the mail a couple days ago and have been pouring through them. A couple immediate issues i'd like to diagnose are as follows: The transmission cannot be shifted while the tractor is running. I push the clutch pedal in and if I attempt to shift form neutral to any gear the transmission grinds. If I start the tractor while in any gear, it stays in fine without popping out. If I am in gear and depress the clutch and move the shifter as fast as I can, it can switch form 1st to second or visa versa with no grinding, but if i'm too slow it will grind and I have to shutdown the tractor to shift it into gear. I don't really understand how the clutch works on this system. Is the clutch a hydraulic valve that the stops the power shuttle from engaging so the transmission can be shifted? Can someone explain in layman's terms how this setup works so I can better understand to fix it. Or does this sound like some kind of synchronizer issue? Ive never had an older tractor like this and never a shuttle shift. This tractor seems to have shuttle forward and reverse but no neutral, is that correct or common? The second issue is that when I go up any incline or have a load in the bucket, the tractor appears to have almost no power to move forward in 2nd 3rd or 4th gear. The RPM's stay high, but the tractor just does not want to go. All the fluids and filters were changed 6 months ago by previous owner. Case TCH was used in power shuttle. I have checked fluid level and they appear good and clean. I ordered some new filters just to be sure. Any ideas? Love the tractor so far. leaky hydraulic cylinders that i will be re-packing, but pretty happy with what I have so far for what I traded for it.

Replies7
  1. #1sbybee2015-11-14 10:16

    I have the same tractor with the same issues and questions. I don't think there is a neutral on the shuttle. I wish there was because if I just use the shuttle it works fine, but if I have to use the clutch it is slow to engage and seems to need more r.p.m. as it warms up. I just split a ford 4500 for basically the same issues and spent a lot so I'm waiting a while to tackle the case. I would be interested in learning about these issues. thanx steve

  2. #2alrman2015-11-14 18:21

    Welcome to HEF Honey Badger! There is a great deal of information to be found here that will help you with your problems. The search feature will greatly assist you in this. Many folk come here with the same issues with their machines & it can be a little hard, discussing the same issues over & over again. All of your problems have been discussed many times before. I have located a few of the more helpful threads for you - hope you have plenty of time....... NB - 580B has the same transmission as the CK packratc - 580CK (classic & entertaining) 580B shuttle pump - great help from "phil" a 580CK/B guru - no longer on the forum 580B - More generalized info There are many more pages if you keep looking.

  3. #3sbybee2015-11-14 19:47

    alrman great info. Don't know why I didn't find this searching archives. Wrong numbers I guess. thanx steve

  4. #4Honey Badger2015-11-15 19:38

    Thank you for the threads, when I search, some titles are tough to tell if its related or not. Thanks for the initial input. Things make a little more sense now with that info while going through the Service manuals. the service manuals for this machine doest do a good job of helping you narrow down your particular setup. I'll post some picture tomorrow to verify what I'm looking at. So from what I can tell, I have a power shuttle, but it was the earlier power shuttle that did not have a Neutral position. Later S/N tractors came with a power shuttle that had a neutral detent on the control valve. I don't have the dual range transmission that came with the mechanical shuttles. I checked the adjustment of the Brakes and clutch and they seem ok. I need to fix the pressure gauge for the clutch to get an idea of what pressures are coming out. When driving the tractor in gear, if I barely push in the clutch activating the clutch control valve, the machine stops moving before i push it far enough to start pushing the breaks. So it seems that the clutch valve is restricting the flow for movement, just not enough to restrict movement when the transmission is in neutral. When I put the stabilizers down on the backhoe and lift the rear tire with the transmission in neutral, the right rear tire slowly turns backwards but can be stopped with the force of just my hand. Is this indicative of something or just what it does? I'm just not sure how power is getting to the wheels when the transmission is in Neutral. I'm searching several forums and reading a lot of threads, but my head is spinning at the moment with all the information.

  5. #5Joe1234562024-09-27 18:41

    What happens if you overfill the transmission on a 580 CK. sorry I am 77 and don't do computers if someone can answer I would appreciate it thank you joe

  6. #6Tinkerer2024-09-27 20:23

    Depends how much it is overfilled. No real harm will result . Just drain the excess out. You are still a kid, Joe. I'm 82. I love computers and smartphones. Today I fabricated a carrier assembly mounting bracket for my transmission jack. My old tractor has a worn out differential that is getting replaced with a rebuilt one soon.

  7. #7Joe1234562024-09-27 20:49

    You got me by 5 years, us old guys need to stick together. I run and walk about 3 miles a day but it kills me to get down! How about you? Thank you for answering I removed and drained both sides of the transmission and filled it with what I thought was the right amount of fluid, 17 quarts. After filling the required amount, I thought, it was way passed the line. I guess my question should be how much does it take? Thank you for any help, she is old like me but reliable and I want to keep her in good shape for future family members who can use her. Thank you, Joe