Hello to All. I have a Case 580D Backhoe. I bought it from a distant relative who didn't have the money to keep it properly maintained. I am assuming he only did what he absolutely had to do to keep it running. He did not use the machine in a business, but did a few jobs on the side with it. I probably ran the machine for 15 to 20 hours, mostly stationary while digging, but did some dirt moving around my place as well. Recently, it has a developed a problem with moving forward after braking to a full stop. It requires almost full throttle to break it loose. When it does break loose, it seems to move okay until I brake to a stop again. I do not have a manual yet. Even if I did, I am too old to do much work on a big machine such as this. I would appreciate any info I could get on what the problem with the brakes could be. I need to make a decision on whether to try to have it repaired at the Case dealership or just sell it for whatever I can get for it. I have $8700.00 in it, so I need to do something with it, one way or another. Thanks. jfe
Recently a mechanic friend had nearly the same problems with an older Case hoe. Come to find out the owner had used regular brake fluid in the brake system, not the specified hydraulic fluid and all the seals and cups in the master cylinders, slave cylinders, etc had to be replaced.
I think you are going to need a drum/disc/band kit, along with a seal for the diff lock shaft and side gear. The job can be done in less than 2 hrs per side if all goes well and you have the parts on hand. It's not a bad job, and like said above the brake master cylinders used the TCH fluid or Dexron 2 as a sub, do not use DOT fluid.
Do not continue to use it like that or things will break, it is a tremendos strain and shock on the driveline. Generally just a quick reversal will let it loose with less shock than forcing it forward under power.
Gentlemen, Thanks for the ideas. I do have a bit more information, just in case it makes a difference. Yesterday, I started and moved the tractor for the first time in six months. I just drove it a hundred feet or so to get it out of my way, but it moved out of its tracks without having to apply a lot of throttle. It braked okay without binding when I put in the new location. I think that I noticed the same thing last winter when I dug a septic system. Within an hour or so, it was binding up again. At that time, I wondered if the problem is aggravated by daily use. Or, if the problem is such that it is temporarily alleviated by sitting idle for a month or so. Any more thoughts or opinions on this situation will be appreciated. Thanks again. jfe
That's about the same symptoms my mechanic buddy was describing. .at slow speeds the brakes worked and released fine, but when the machine was roaded any distance at all, the right brake would try to lock up. Stop, back up a bit and it would be fine for another few hundred feet, then it was stop and back up time again.
Is there a way to determine if there is DOT fluid in the brake system?