Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580D Brakes

davidd ยท 2009-04-14 21:07

Greetings All, I am still looking at different hoes. The one presently under scrutiney is a 580d. The old gentleman says the brakes are not too good. Well that didnt tell me much. When I go to check it out, What should I look for in terms of brakes.? Does a low pedal mean they are worn out? Also any ideas on what a brake job would cost on a 580d? Thanks, David d.

Replies10
  1. #1willie592009-04-14 22:57

    The 580D is an older machine, but it was a fairly good and rugged machine. First of all; if the rest of the machine is in good shape, engine starts and runs good, reverser and gearbox's work good, backhoe and loader pins/bushings ain't worn slap out, I wouldn't condemn the machine over poor brakes. Cost to replace them? I can't help you there. But if it's a good machine, it's worth doing the brakes. What to check? Are the brakes just "not stopping the machine"? Could be brakes just aren't adjusted. I can't remember if the D had self adjusters. Even if they do, those self adjusters were bad about not working properly. Could be you just need to "manually adjust" the brakes. If your driving in one direction, and apply the brakes, and it "locks down", until you go the opposite direction, then your looking at brake parts replacement. The good news is the brakes are outside the transmission housing and easily accessible and repairable. If the price is right and the rest of the machine is good, I wouldn't have a problem repairing the brakes.

  2. #2gggraham2009-04-15 00:12

    Like ATCO said...580D brakes are outboard brakes and very easy to repair and I wouldn't worry too much about them. The parts are not that expensive. The 580D had a cross shaft and auto adjusters. The ratcheting mechanism always stuck, we removed the ratchet and just use a jam nut on the linkage. The only other possibility is bad master cylinders or slave cylinders. Possibly there is no brake fluid in the system. Again I wouldn't worry...brake job on them is not expensive either. If the machine shifts good, the engine doesn't smoke excessively and no major leaks you should be OK.

  3. #3davidd2009-04-15 10:01

    Thanks Atco and GGG Good info that I was looking for. So far here is the deal 2wd, 4n1 bucket (reworked) new cummings engine (200hrs) cab with h and ac both not working. Brakes not too good. No hyd leaks. Palet forks. $9300 no tax. But I have to have it transported 200 miles in addition to going for a look see.

  4. #4willie592009-04-15 20:21

    If it's got the 4B Cummins in it, it's been repowered. If I'm not mistaken, the D originally came with the Case 4 cyl diesel. I believe the E was when they switched to the Cummins. Does it have a turbo?

  5. #5davidd2009-04-15 20:41

    Good evening atco: Dont know if the new engine has a turbo or not. Should it have one? I will not be a high power user. I will do lots of work at idle or half throttle. What do you think of the price? I will be traveling to take a look tomorrow. David d.

  6. #6willie592009-04-15 21:47

    It may, or may not. Turbo would be a later model engine. Doesn't really matter, though, I was just curious. The original Case engine in the D was not a turbo engine. The price is not bad if it's a sound machine. There's a lot to look at on a loader/hoe. Of course, you have a number of pin/bushing connections to look at, but also, check for any oil leakage where drive axle comes out of axle housing. Pull the dipstick for trans housing (hole in floorboad to access stick) an see what the oil looks like. I've also seen guys neglect greasing the steering pivots on the front axle and keep using them until the pivot bushing is trashed and they wear the axle housing with the pivot pin, take a good look at them.

  7. #7davidd2009-04-15 22:07

    Thanks, and I will be checking back in the next day or the next. Planning on some pict. David d.

  8. #8willie592009-04-15 22:14

    Where 'bouts in Georgia are you?

  9. #9davidd2009-04-17 11:48

    I am in the "other Ga." AKA South Ga. Then there is Atlanta. I went and looked at the 580d. "New engine", but just new to the machine. Or maybe not changed at all. The main boom pin had about an inch of play. Only one brake. The other had hard pedal but absolutey nothing. Swing cylinder pins were loose, about 1/8 inch of slop. With hoe fully extended there was about 18 inches of swing by hand. weak battery, bad rear tires. I will pass on this machine. AND, a big thanks to all that sent post as what to look for. Some were from archived post but good info from all, as what to look for. David d.

  10. #10youngone12342013-02-14 23:29

    Lots of good info hear. Thanks guys.