Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

shuttle stuck forward

fdr326 · 2009-04-15 13:59

I have a Case 580K with shuttle that is stuck in forward. When shuttle handle in neutral, machine still in forward drive. With shuttle handle in reverse, machine stops and will not move. I'm assuming stuck or clogged shuttle valve. Also, electric clutch stopped working - something to do with stuck shuttle? Machine still has plenty of power to wheels, so the torque converter seems to be working ok. Also appears to be leaking hydraulic fluid from top of shuttle somewhere - can't see where, but shuttle covered with fluid and do not see any hoses, pipes or other hydraulic components leaking in area of shuttle and shuttle was about a pint low on fluid. I'm assuming shuttle will have to be pulled off and opened up to evaluate. It appears from just looking at it that it should be removable from bottom of machine. Any Case 580K mechanics out there or others familiar with 580K power shuttle problems? Removal issues? Cleaning issues? Rebuilding issues? Anything on top of shuttle that can spring a leak or keep looking elsewhere besides shuttle for leak?

Replies16
  1. #1Goose2009-04-15 20:18

    Yes the shuttle will need to be removed and rebuilt. What has happened is the bellville spring in the forward clutch has broken up and piecce of it are wedged in between the piston and clutches and have the forward clutch pack locked at all times. This problem is pretty common with these shuttles. As far as removal it is pretty straight forward. Rebuilding the shuttle can be alittle tricky to get the clearances on the forward clutch set up if you havent done and dont have a manual. About the only thing on the top of the shuttle to leak is the lube line and the breather. You might make sure it is not the steering orbitol leaking or a line going to it as it right above the shuttle

  2. #2gggraham2009-04-15 21:58

    GOOSE has nailed this one ...bellville washer definately! The only thing I will add is usually once this occurs it is a sudden problem and there is no damage other than the broken washer and possibly a well worn forward clutch pack however. If you find a lot of cuttings/filings in the shuttle pan I'd flush out the cooler and dump fluid out of torque converter. Better safe than sorry. There is a rebuild kit that comes with gasket, o rings, forward and reverse clutches, bellville washer and I think piston seals and it is cheaper than individual pieces for the forward clutch.

  3. #3amunderdog2009-05-01 16:04

    There are two models of the 580K,the early model is much the same as the 580SE,the serial number will begin with 17,that model has the Borg Warner shuttle,the newer model serial number beginning with JJG has a different power train referred to as Carraro.

  4. #4ltfox2010-04-27 19:54

    My 580d is having the same problem. Am I looking at the same fix. About how much$ am I looking at to rebuild the shuttle drive?

  5. #512edge2018-07-14 13:16

    I'm new to the forum and to owning heavy equipment. I recently bought a older model (mid 80's) Case 580K backhoe. I'm having trouble out of what I believe is the shuttle shift. The backhoe operates fine in forward and reverse initially then all the sudden while driving forward seems to go into neutral. It seems as though it want to pull forward but doesn't have any power. You can shift back into reverse and it works fine. I don't believe it's the transmission because of when it does work at first it has very good power and will spin both tires with ease.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-07-18 15:13

    Yes its t;e same problem. You will have to drop it out and rebuild it. Rebuild kits on ebay aren't that bad. I think the last kit I got was around $500.00 and it had everything in it including the pump.

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2018-07-18 15:20

    Yes more than likely it is a similar problem. Clutches for forward are bad and piston seal is bad also.

  8. #8lscearse2018-12-01 13:59

    I see this is an old thread but I’m having the same trouble. Everything was rebuilt and the shuttl installed. I have forward but no reverse now. Any thoughts on this problem?

  9. #9alrman2018-12-01 16:47

    @lscearse - you may need to pull the shuttle again & retrace your steps...... perhaps the reverse piston seal was damaged during assembly or the reverse piston was installed the wrong way?

  10. #10lscearse2018-12-02 09:18

    Thank you for the feedback. Is their any electrical components that would keep the shuttle from engaging in reverse? Forward works perfect it just doesn’t go in reverse. I was assuming the the piston seal was bad as well. I’m new to the forum and owning heavy equipment.

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2018-12-02 15:26

    Yes more than likely.

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2018-12-02 15:29

    Check your fluid level for shuttle, the dipstick is just above the starter on right side of engine, machine must be running at operating temp. P.S. Use hyd. oil in shuttle.

  13. #13alrman2018-12-02 16:41

    @lscearse we can be alot more help with your machine model. Some later models are controlled electrically, however the early Borg Warner shuttles are not. If yours is the Borg Warner, you only have one choice & that's - removing the shuttle & looking inside.

  14. #14lscearse2018-12-09 16:56

    I have a 1989 case 580K with the Borg Warner shuttle. I pulled the shuttle out and had everything replaced once again including the forward pump. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue. We couldn't find any gaskets or seals that was nicked or broken. The backhoe went into forward gear without hesitation but would not engage in reverse. It was suggested that it could possibly be the de clutch on the side of the transmission. Any thoughts? I would have thought if it was malfunctioning the forward gear would not work either. I'm waiting on the snow storm to pass through and will reinstall and see what happens.

  15. #15alrman2018-12-09 17:07

    @lscearse You would be correct that forward would also be affected by the de clutch solenoid. Was the reverse piston fitted correctly? Smooth side of the piston into the carrier?

  16. #16Coy Lancaster2018-12-10 00:12

    Is the control valve installed correctly?