Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580D Cross Shaft Seal

starshiphi ยท 2013-04-23 21:01

I have leaky seals on my Right Break of my 580 D. I have the brake housing off and can see the seal on the shaft. In a past Thread I was told to drill some holes in the seal and install self taping screws to pull the seal out. I have done this, but the screws just pull out of the metal seal. Its possible it was glued in with permatex No. 1 as specified in the manual. does anyone have any ideas on how to get a seal out of a hole so I don't have to drop the Transaxel??? Don Santa Cruz

Replies15
  1. #1alrman2013-04-23 22:15

    Get an old screwdriver & stake it Don. Or drive a thin screwdriver between the seal & the housing & then get a slightly bigger one in the cavity & prise it out

  2. #2willie592013-04-23 22:51

    I agree with alrman, there's no "one size fits all" when wrenching. As he also stated, place screwdriver or center punch at mid point of seal, between shaft and housing seal is set in, dimple the seal, go around the circumference of seal doing this and it will cause the seal to retract on both the shaft and the diameter that is set in the housing, you'll be able to pluck it right out.

  3. #3starshiphi2013-04-24 10:16

    The seal Thank You, I'm on it!

  4. #4starshiphi2013-04-24 15:19

    Seal is out, Thanks OK, worked just like you said, thank you again. One more question: I was told by Alrman that the differential Lock when installing it, since it gets no lube in the brake housing, I should apply Antiseize to the differential lock gears. Is that Permatex Antiseize lubercant (the silver stuff) or is there another Antiseize I should look for????? All this problem started by oil in the brake housing, trying to keep the brakes from any oil on them???? Thank You Don Santa Cruzl

  5. #5TLR152013-04-24 16:19

    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I was working on our 580C today and have exactly the same issue. We were planning on just changing all the fluids, so I pulled the drain plug on the transaxle and barely anything came out but about a cup of choclate pudding looking stuff. At the same time I had pulled off the diff lock casing(because the pedal wouldn't move) and the brake housing (to check the condition of the shoes). The diff lock linkage was just bound up by a lack of lube so we got that freed up and the brakes looked good. Everything was cleaned up and put back together, then the fluid was filled. Well it started leaking immediately from the seal. Since the machine is new to us, we don't know its history, and the trans case was empty, I just figured the fluid had all leaked out over time. Off came the housing again. I removed the slotted screw on the face of the carrier housing (the 3/4" thick piece directly behind the brake housing that has the shims between it and the transaxle). I could rotate it but could not pull it off. I figured it needs to come off to replace the seal and O-ring for the gear assembly. By reading and rereading Don's posts it sounds like he did not remove the carrier housing. So is that the case? Does that carrier housing (p/n A140869) not need to come off to replace the seal? Thanks very much Marc

  6. #6starshiphi2013-04-24 22:30

    The Brake seal in my Case 580 D To Marc: I am not sure if the the 580 C is the same as the 580 D, but I was able to remove the seal without removing the brake housing on my tractor. Thanks to Alrman and Willy59 I used their advise on how to remove it and it worked. Now there is another seal on the cross shaft, much smaller that can be replaced too, it was what was really leaking. All I did was to install the seal right behind the one that was leaking. All is good, good luck Don Santa Cruz

  7. #7TLR152013-04-25 07:05

    Great. Thanks!

  8. #8CMI2013-04-25 12:59

    I know this is off the topic, but a preivous post popped up on you about ESCO teeth. Are you still looking at getting some good prices?

  9. #9TLR152013-04-29 15:14

    For those following the his thread...I was able to get. My right side seal out in one piece by striking it with a screwdriver around the circumference and prying it out with a seal pick. I also melted the rubber a little with a torch which helped loosen the seal a bit. The new one went on nice and straight with a length of 2" box pipe. All in all about a 45 minute job without removing the housing.

  10. #10Laker822025-09-16 16:30

    Reviving an old thread for my current problem. Been trying the catch the old seal for more hours than I care to confess, was pretty sure inner was leaking not just outer. Well finally got smart enough to flush it real well and stick my head around the corner with a good flashlight. No seal in there at all! Been trying to hook the bushing! Parts manual says 1 /38 x 1 /5/8 x 3/16 seal. I now have 3 seals that are correct for the ID but not the OD that were supposed to be A146027. Anybody had good luck getting the right fit recently ?

  11. #11Tinkerer2025-09-19 08:12

    Right-Hand Differential Side Gear Seal for Case Backhoe 480C, 480D, 580C, 580D, & more Right-hand differential side gear oil seal A49795 (A35919, A146027) for Case 480C, 480D, 580C, 580D backhoes and 584-586 forklifts. Shop Broken Tractor. www.brokentractor.com That seal has three different part numbers for some odd reason.

  12. #12Laker822025-09-20 16:06

    This one fit . Have brakes on both sides now! ebay.com/str/partssupplies?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l161211

  13. #13oldtom2025-09-20 18:46

    same dog different name and make

  14. #14Tinkerer2025-09-21 08:07

    The link goes to website, but not the seal . Could you post a link to the website page that has the seal on it ? That will help other members in search of the seal.

  15. #15Laker822025-09-21 09:19

    Thanks Tinkerer for the heads up. This link works for me. Down to 4 left out of 7. A49795 A146027 Oil Seal fits Case 480D 480C 480B 580D 580C 580B Backhoe Loader | eBay A49795 oil seal is designed for the right differential side gear and is compatible with Case backhoe models 430CK and 480CK. This high-quality seal prevents oil leakage, ensuring that the differential operates smoothly and efficiently. www.ebay.com