Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580D sliding shaft seal

old and slow ยท 2019-05-31 17:06

In the process of doing the brakes I removed the bearing plate to install a new o ring and seal. The seal appears to be in backwards, the lip facing out, towards the brakes. I suppose it could be to keep dirt out of Differential case, or somebody before me installed it wrong. Anybody know for sure which way it goes? I would think the lip goes in toward the case to seal oil from coming out.

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2019-05-31 18:37

    Welcome to HEF @old and slow You are correct that the seal lip should be facing the oil. I take it the brakes were wet with oil & the reason for repair? There should be no movement in that side gear/ bull pinion in order for the seal to work efficiently. Plus, there is a small seal inside the RH gear for the diff lock shaft.

  2. #2old and slow2019-06-01 06:45

    Thank you sir