Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580E air in fuel

Case580 ยท 2015-04-14 01:18

Hi all, I'm new here and have a couple questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I am the mechanic at the local university and had a guy bring in our Case 580E backhoe the other day. He said he ran it out of fuel, filled it, and now it wont start. So there's obviously air in the lines and I've been working on getting it bled. So far I found some information regarding bleeding a 580K. The 580K seemed similar, so I tried what I found with no results. When I turn the motor over I get absolutely nothing from the injector lines (I cracked them). I tried the bleeding method with cracking the different lines and using the hand primer to purge air, but no good. So far the hand primer feels as if it is doing absolutely nothing. Just limp and flimsy. Some bubbles did come out of the line but no fuel to speak of. Does anyone have a step by step process for getting air out of this system? Is this a clogged lines issue or air as I'm suspecting? I haven't worked much with this backhoe so forgive me for all the questions. I'm sure you guys no what you're talking about so I'm all ears in the presence of greater knowledge and wisdom :notworthy. Any help is appreciated, Thanks all

Replies9
  1. #1hookedondiesel2015-04-14 03:50

    Running out of fuel can suck up allot of debris from the bottom of the tank. I don't know if the 580E has a screen inside the tank or not, something you can check out or another member may tell you. You could try this, with the injector lines cracked open, put some air in the tank filler neck, wrap a rag around the air line when doing this to keep the air from coming back out the tank. While doing this, have someone turn it over and check to see if fuel is coming out of the lines. Not too much pressure but just enough to get fuel up. If there is any sign of fuel going to the lines, re-tighten them and give it a shot of either.

  2. #2Bill Smith2015-04-14 08:20

    Have you got power to the fuel switch

  3. #3Case5802015-04-14 12:11

    Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if there is power to the fuel switch. How would I check? Forgive me for my ignorance, I am a student here (19) and have been doing vehicle and small motor mechanics since I can remember. I own a 7.3IDI Ford that I have done work on as well as our Case 70xt skid steer. I know a lot about diesels in general just not this motor. I have heard that pressurizing the fuel tank like that can result in blown corners and seems. True? Does anyone have a step by step process or link to a thread that can explain exactly how to bleed the fuel system on a 580e? Thanks again

  4. #4Case5802015-04-14 13:24

    Okay so update, I pulled the fuel filters and the fuel water separator filter (the one with the drain on the bottom) has all kinds of crap in it.. If I have debris in the line whats the next step? Thanks again

  5. #5alrman2015-04-14 17:17

    Goes without saying, you will need new filters. Disconnect the inlet to the lift pump & blow some air back into the fuel tank, that will clear any blockage. The 580E has a built in water trap in the bottom of the tank - drain it & do it daily till you get rid of the water & then check it regularly after that. Use a test light to check power at the fuel shut off solenoid, located under the injector pump. Make sure it has power while ign is on & also while cranking. If you can't hear an audible 'click' when power is applied to the solenoid - it needs to be replaced. The priming procedure on an 580E is exactly the same as a 580K. see this thread :drinkup Sometimes when the primer pumps get older, the lever will not move the diaphram. Either a new pump should be fitted Or as said earlier - some shop air with a rag wrapped around the fuel filler to push the fuel through. IF you can hold enoungh pressure using this method, to split the tank - you're a better man than me! :thumbsup

  6. #6Case5802015-04-14 17:27

    Great, that's what I needed. So I ended up cracking the line from the tank to the lift pump and got a good solid stream of fuel, no blockage. The lift pump however still feels weak when I pump it (no pressure). How do I tell if the pump is bad? Also, the tank isn't full (my bad, the guy said he filled it) in fact I'd say its below half, does this make a difference with the bleeding process? I greatly appreciate your help.

  7. #7alrman2015-04-14 17:33

    Crank the engine with the line between the lift pump & filter disconnected - you will know if it is OK. There could also be some trash stuck in the lift pump check valves. If you disconnect the inlet hose & hold your finger over the fitting, it should retain a little suction for a couple of seconds, while priming or cranking the engine. If no suction - replace lift pump. The more fuel you have in the tank, the easier it will be to prime - but it should prime easily with even 4 gal in it.

  8. #8Delmer2015-04-14 17:49

    When you push the lever on the priming/lift pump, you're NOT pumping fuel, you're pulling the diaphragm BACK against spring pressure, then the spring pumps the fuel. If the fuel pressure is pumped up, then the spring is held compressed by the diaphragm/fuel pressure, SO there will be NO pressure on the lever, or just the light external spring pressure. Open a bleeder to relieve the fuel pressure and then the pump will get hard to pump again... If it holds pressure (the pump has no resistance after several seconds) and pumps a good looking volume then the pump most likely is fine. Leaking is the usual way they fail.

  9. #9Case5802015-04-23 00:10

    Alright all well that bleeding procedure ended up working. Took awhile and ended up having to hold a rag with a bit of Gasoline on it over the intake to get her to start and pump the fuel through the injectors. Runs like a champ now! Thanks for your help! ya'll are life savers