Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 590sl fuel gauge and alt light

ckinser1 ยท 2015-04-13 23:11

I am still ironing out the small issues on my new to me machine. My fuel gauge fluctuates at abrapid rate of speed. Anyone else have this problem and know the fix?.I already cleaned the contacts going into the tank. Also I just replaced the alternator which is working great. But when I push the breaks at idol the alternator light comes on. Another mistery. I wish I could call the previous owner and find out how he screwed so much up. Slowly but surely I will have it all up and working. In the mean time it is running great and working hard. Thanks for all your help

Replies7
  1. #1hookedondiesel2015-04-14 03:39

    Test the voltage at your battery, running you should have about 14.5 volts, now have someone push on the brakes while you do your test again and see what the voltage is. If it drops to 12 volts, you have a wiring problem. Its pretty hard to diagnose these wiring issues without a schematic, especially when someone else has played around inside also. Believe me, I know, I'm in that process right now.

  2. #2ckinser12015-04-14 06:43

    Thanks hook I will give that a try. Any ideas on the fuel gauge?

  3. #3Delmer2015-04-14 08:45

    If the fuel gauge goes from empty to the actual level then I think it's just a dirty "rheostat" inside the tank. That's just bare wires sitting in diesel and they get gunked up. If it goes from the actual level to full or higher then you have a short to ground in that line. With the alternator, belt tight? all connections tight? Does it do this only when moving or every time, even stopped already?

  4. #4ckinser12015-04-14 16:17

    Delmar the fuel gauges do it full time.the alternator is brand new all connections were cleaned prior to install and she is charging at 14.5 volts. I will try some things today and will get back to you guys tonight including looking for a bad ground

  5. #5alrman2015-04-14 17:27

    The wiring harness for the fuel gauge could be grounding somewhere. Follow the harness & check it closely where it is near steel & where C clamped.

  6. #6Delmer2015-04-14 18:00

    I meant the alternator light coming on with the brakes, does it do that every time you hit the brake pedal? at the exact point that the brake lights come on? only when moving? With the fuel gauge, is there a range that it moves between, actual level and up, or actual level and down, or full to empty all the time?

  7. #7ckinser12015-04-14 18:45

    The fuel gauge varies but it mostly stays on full. I checked the hot line with a meter and it is definitely grounding somewhere. The alt light comes on but not every time but it doesn't matter if the machine is moving or not but when it does start acting up it likes to light up only when you push the break. To save myself time I think I will pull all the floor panels and housing that I can and try to fix everything I can at once. I will pick up some 1/4 inch plastic conduit and repair everything I see and can. My machine stopped running yesterday as the wire to the fuel pump system just broke off. It was due to wire fatigue. I imagine if I look I will find allot of that around.