Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580E hydraulic issues

Edward Foley · 2019-03-16 08:45

Hello gentlemen! I'm a locomotive mechanic by trade, but I'm getting my butt kicked on a Case backhoe. My issue is that after the machine warms up, the hoe loses most of its power. The front bucket still works pretty good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies16
  1. #1Mnash502592019-03-16 11:20

    Not much to go on, but I’d start with a filters, fluids check or replacement. More information would be helpful for the guys on here to chew on...

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2019-03-16 17:42

    There is a o-ring on the outlet where the hose goes back to the backhoe from the loader valve, Case call it a power beyond valve, take the fitting out and replace the O-rings should take care of your problem. Another problem may be that the small hyd. pump may be bad, how's the steering, is it slow and hard or easy as always?

  3. #3Bls repair2019-03-16 17:54

    Just a guess ,as oil warms it thins out ,may be bypassing some where . You could unlock the boom put out the dipper when oil is hot and see how fast it drifts down . If it drifts down quickly you have a bypass problem .valve body ,cylinders.

  4. #4Edward Foley2019-03-23 10:28

    Thanks guys. I will check out your suggestions. I did put a pressure gauge on the fitting on the loader valve. The max it climbs is 1500psi.

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-03-23 10:56

    At full throttle ? It should be 2400 to 2500. New hydraulic filter ?

  6. #6Edward Foley2019-03-23 11:29

    New filter and fluid.

  7. #7Tinkerer2019-03-23 12:40

    Have you changed those O rings like Coy suggested ? Coy asked about the steering also. ????

  8. #8Edward Foley2019-03-23 12:55

    Where exactly is this o-ring? The fluid and filters were recently changed. The power steering works very good. I raised the dipper and left it there and after 4 minutes, it hadn't moved at all. The leader and the how both are weak. At 2000rpm, the max pressure we got was 1500psi.

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2019-03-23 18:54

    The o-ring I'm talking about is where the hose comes out of the loader control valve and goes to the backhoe control valve. Remove the fitting and it's about 3" long with an o-ring close to the end of fitting and then a larger one close to where hose connects. But sense you said that you are only getting 1500psi then you should check the main relief valve for trash and try and reset pressure. Be sure that your are using the loader bucket roll back circuit to check pressure, set bucket about 6" off ground and roll bucket back and hold then read gauge. If you go to partstore.casece.com and look up 580se and you will find the valve fitting I'm talking about on page 392 and 406 under the hyd. section. There are two different loader valves a Parker and a Case valve you will have to determine which you have.

  10. #10alrman2019-03-23 19:09

    Power Beyond Location Main Relief Location

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2019-03-23 19:14

    Item #25 power beyond Case valve

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2019-03-23 19:15

    Thanks man I learned something just then

  13. #13Edward Foley2019-03-23 19:24

    Thank you very much, Coy.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2019-03-23 20:40

    You're welcome

  15. #15casey5182021-01-20 16:11

    I have a similar problem with my machine. What ended up being the problem?

  16. #16Coy Lancaster2021-01-20 16:41

    If you’re having the same problem then check the same o-ring. On the E it’s in the inlet outlet section of the loader valve stack. If your machine is slow all over then check the main relief valve.