Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580e no start

hammerdwn20 ยท 2009-12-24 09:59

I was plowing snow at work last weekend with the Case and shut it down to shovel a couple of sidewalks. I had to walk out of sight or i would have left it running. Went to restart it and nothing happened. no power to the gauges or anything. checked battery connections. Jumped the starter but there was no fuel i guess because of a fuel shut off solenoid. After about 15 minute i get in and starts no problem. plow for the next 6 hours and parked it. i started it 2 more times and it worked fine. Where should i look if it happens again?

Replies11
  1. #1gggraham2009-12-24 12:54

    One spot would be the battery connections. Start with the easy stuff first. The negative cable on the 580E is grounded to the side box/step. I've seen that bolt get so rusted it is actually broke off and not making good contact. The bolt will appear to be fine but take it off and clean the connection, when you do you may find the bolt is broken.

  2. #2RHINOS TRANNYS2009-12-24 22:05

    Best thing to do is make a new cable and go from the battery to a mounting bolt on the starter. Do not know what Case was thinking when they designed the battery wiring.

  3. #3hammerdwn202009-12-25 17:11

    Ill look into it next time im near the machine. anything else i could check?

  4. #4hammerdwn202009-12-26 10:20

    Now that im thinking about it ive always had power to the starter so i shouldnt be the ground. No power to the gauges or starter solenoid. I jumped the solenoid and it had turned over but wouldnt turn over with the key. Maybe the ignition switch?

  5. #5gggraham2009-12-26 19:12

    Remove the dash and check all the breakers. The ones with nuts that thread on were not as bad as the spade terminal connection type. They can cause all sorts of problems. Depending on what the age of the machine it could also have 2 or 3 relays behind the kick panel under the steering column right at the floor. They can get corroded easily too. A quick check with a test light or multi meter will let you know if the ignition switch is working.

  6. #6cat9802009-12-26 20:53

    gggraham were did you find the battery connection diagram at and do they have other things for this machine

  7. #7willie592009-12-26 21:01

    Well cat980, gggraham is a mechanic at a Case dealer in Ontario, so he pretty much knows these machines. You can look up parts diagrams at the Case website. Just follow these steps and it will take you to the parts pages. www.casece.com click on North American/English go to Parts and Service tab at the top scroll down and click Parts Catalog on the next page you have to click the Launch Parts Catalog link just above the video your there. just type in your model number.

  8. #8hammerdwn202009-12-27 09:08

    Thanks. I guess these breakers are the self resetting type and one tripped for some reason. That would explain why it would have to sit for a while and then start no problem. ill be bringing my test light and DVOM next time i snow plow. Id like to address the problem before we are in a bind and need the machine bu that wont happen. Some people just like stress. :beatsme

  9. #9Phil2009-12-28 06:56

    I had a D model once that only occasionally would not crank, and seems to me the dash was dead too, but it's been some time. I know it wasn't the neutral safety switch, because my son said to me "where's the clunk when you turn the key on dad" . Funny how one remembers these things. As I recall we changed out a main power relay(#10), which I was able to match up at the local auto store. The terminals on this relay can get a little corroded, possibly the ground for the relay too. I think the E model had the similar main relay. I've attached the first of 2, 580SE main wiring harness's options shown on CNH. If you run your negative battery cable directly to the starter base, make sure the 'engine to frame ground strap' is there. I've had several D's and E's with bad ignition switches but that was only the starter contact inside. Perhaps this info may help. Phil

  10. #10cat9802009-12-28 09:04

    thankyou for showing me this i really aoorecaite it i needed the wiring diagram badly

  11. #11hammerdwn202010-03-06 08:39

    I figured i needed to give an update just in case anyone runs into similar problems. The machine had been fine for a while. Last snow storm the machine wasnt charging the battery even though the gauge said it was. I had high voltage coming out of the alternator (16volts) but only 12V was getting to the battery. The problem was the circuit breaker between the starter and alternator. Normal 13.5volts coming out of the alternator and getting to the battery now. also solved the occasional crank and no start as the fuel shut off solenoid is tapped into that circuit breaker. Thanks guys.