Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580E Parts Questions

Oerthedge21 · 2021-02-23 07:56

After months of searching I finally picked up a machine, a mid 80s 580E for 7200$. Couldn't find any other 580s under 10k, and most were in less than great shape. Mine obviously needs some work it's far from perfect, but mechanically it's sound and the pins are fairly tight so I considered it a good deal compared to the ludicrous prices I found for any other machines near me. So far I'm figuring most of it out as I go. Two things I've found so far though, does anyone know where to get the seals that hold the glass in? Namely for the rear quarter window in the fender and the tracks for the rear main windows? Also may need a new disc for the park brake, mine has the outboard brakes with the parking brake that mounts on the front of the transaxle. The splines on the disc are totally gone, though the teeth on the countershaft may be too far gone to mount a new disc anyway. But I looked around and all I could find are the brake pads, no disc for the outboard style park break. I'll try to slap some pics of the thing up today if it's not pouring or dark when I get home. As for the rest of it it's just the usual old equipment stuff, oil leaks here and there, worn tires, worn breaks, the floor has the usual rot etc etc. But I won't complain since it has an enclosed cab and starts up in the cold, unlike my old CK that would take a shot of ether to start at anything below 90°F

Replies16
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-02-23 08:05

    Here is where I purchased my window seals. https://www.trimlok.com/rubber-extrusion/locking-gasket

  2. #2Oerthedge212021-02-23 10:00

    Ah so it's just a generic seal then, I wasn't sure if it was something special or not. Any clues on the rear window track? Or of any wrecking yards that ship parts? Up here in CT there's not really any big construction/agricultural salvage places so used parts are hard to come by

  3. #3gggraham2021-02-24 10:15

    Paint Valley has lots of after market Case parts for the 580E. https://www.paintvalleyequipment.com/

  4. #4Oerthedge212021-02-25 06:03

    Anybody have a pic of the cab door striker? Mines gone so the door won't latch, I'm gonna try and see if the auto parts store sells one that'll work or that I can make to work, if not I'll make my own since I can't find it, just wandering what the diameter the pin is and how long it sticks off the cab frame

  5. #5Larryv2021-02-25 06:22

    Will measure mine later this a.m.

  6. #6Oerthedge212021-02-26 12:28

    Here's another weird one. Anyone have a pic and a few rough dimensions of the throttle pedal? The floors in my machine are more or less gone, and I guess the pedal went with it. I have the material and a press brake and to make my own, I just don't know what it actually looked like or how it attached to the throttle shaft. Here's what I'm starting with, I already made the plate that sits under the brake pedals, next up is the main floor plate and the buttons of the fenders, then I'll make the mount for the pedal and the bracket that holds the left side of the throttle shaft.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-02-26 13:46

    No dimensions, but here is the layout. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...nkage/cn/4D47767B-8FBF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6 As you prolly know, lots of cardboard and a scissors for templates are your friend.

  8. #8TJAlbert2021-02-26 17:59

    I just went outside and snapped some pics of the floor and throttle pedal in mine. Hope this helps. Dimensions are roughly 10" x 5" but you can see in the pics how it narrows towards the top to about 4" and is closer to 6" at the bottom. Sorry for the poor quality, I was losing light in a hurry and it was pretty gray outside. Holler if I can be of any help. The machine I have is in pretty good shape.

  9. #9DaveA2021-02-26 20:14

    there s a bone yard in Minnasoda that has a parts amchine . I''l see if I can get there number

  10. #10Oerthedge212021-02-26 20:46

    Thanks TJ that's perfect, exactly what I needed. May need your help again once I get further along. Dave, if you find their number definitely let me know, still gonna need some other parts for this machine once I get the floor finished. Always appreciate the help, I'll keep updating as I go,hope to finish up the front floor plate tomorrow while it rains and then I'll get started on the main floor pan

  11. #11DaveA2021-02-27 08:30

    this equipment salvage yard is cutting A 580E up. they might even have floor pans. I got the frount waight off of it in January Erickson Trucks -n- Parts 75196 Petersburg Rd, Jackson, MN 56143 (866) 800-8000

  12. #12Larryv2021-02-27 17:45

    5/8 x 1

  13. #13Oerthedge212021-02-27 18:46

    You guys are just as helpful as ever. Got a lot done today after the rain stopped, finished the front floor panel, git the shuttle oil changed out, greased the front half of the machine, got the parking brake setup removed, got the rear windows ordered, and got halfway through making a door striker, among a lost of other small stuff. Hopefully tomorrow I can get that finished up and maybe get the new floor plate mounted in the battery box so I can put the battery back in, old floor rotted out, battery was more or less hanging by the cables haha

  14. #14Oerthedge212021-02-28 10:43

    I'm assuming on the pedal side of the throttle shaft there's supposed to be a continuation of the ramp and a slot in the middle for this plastic bushing correct? Mine seems to have taken it's leave long ago. Not sure how I'm gonna rig this one up but I'll find a way, I've had some very creative ideas to fix things before, should be an interesting time. Not he bright side, none of the structural parts of the cab are rotted, it was just the floor and the bottoms of the fenders. Here's a few pics for y'all

  15. #15Oerthedge212021-03-01 09:23

    Made my own striker out of the shank of a large bolt I found, drilled and tapped one side and mounted it up, works great. Now to just figure out how the door latch system was supposed to work as mines missing some pieces

  16. #16Oerthedge212021-03-01 15:27

    Does anyone know how the door latch is supposed to be set? My shop manual doesn't show a breakdown as far as I've seen, and I can't find it online either