Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580e spindle nut removal

chrisdvorak ยท 2017-12-05 06:15

checking to see if anyone may have any tips for removing the spindle nut in the front axle hub (early axle 4 bolt kingpin) it's a six prong nut that is supposedly torqued to 850 foot pounds and requires a special socket that case wants 560$ for! I may be able to find a 4x4 truck socket that fits but they are all 1/2 drive and I don't think it would stand up to that kind of torque

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2017-12-05 16:30

    Fabricating the socket is about the only thing you can do. The nut could likely be purchased at a bearing supplier - if you had the thread size & pitch (metric) If you can get a new nut - snip the old one with the oxy torch - use the new nut to make the socket, or measure the old one up to fabricate the socket for removal.

  2. #2Bls repair2017-12-05 18:22

    Photo would be nice

  3. #3xgiovannix122017-12-05 20:26

    3/4 inch drive would handle that no issue . try harbor freight

  4. #4chrisdvorak2017-12-07 20:29

    I actually found a used socket that a dealer had, these front axles sure ain't cheap (or easy) to work on though ended up making a puller for the kingpins and I think case listed yet another specialty tool for the diff