I received my amazon lift pump that supposedly fits my 580G. When I tried putting it on last night it at first wouldn't seat to the block. I bumped the engine over till the pump would go closer and then tightened up the bolts. Next I tried the priming lever and it wouldn't move. Bumped the engine and I can see the whole pump body moving so i know the pushrod is moving but I think it's bottoming out the pumps travel. Is there something I am missing? Maybe different length push rods or different pumps?
The history is, I just recently got this machine. It had an electric pump that didn't work and the mechanical lift pump that also didn't work, The lift pump took off looked pretty new but the arm inside that the pushrod pushes to make it pump was broken.
Sounds like the cam lobe is too tight for the pushrod. Now you know why the other one was broken. Not sure I would screw with this. I would just go with an electric fuel pump. Think the G model is screwing up parts, not sure how common they are, never heard of them.
I thought for sure u were going to say u snapped off the ears where the bolts go.. I don’t know where ur getting them from but they may be confusing the “G” and a “C”..??
I bought the lift pump online. It was listed for David brown models and the case 580G But.... That is just an amazon listing The "C" doesn't have a lift pump. It has a Stanadyne on a case 207 motor. The "G" has a Lucas injection pump. It was an export machine with a David brown engine. Going to pull the pushrod tonight and see what I see. Maybe it's bent and can't retract enough.
Lol.. ur exactly right.. I wasn’t thinking.. must be working to hard..
Pulled the pump back off, also pulled the pump rod out of the block. Found a spec online that the pump rod should be 36MM long. This one was obviously welded up previously and it was 39MM + Ground it down to the right length and re- assembled everything and now the pump seats on the block. The priming lever even works now! I will still order a new one for good measure. After bleeding the air all the way to the pump I tried starting it only to find my battery is not up to the task