Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K ?

aeby · 2012-05-30 18:58

Hello everyone, I am a real newbie when it comes to heavy equipment, but building the road into my cabin finally got the nod for a backhoe and a small dump truck. The backhoe is a 97 Case 580K. I find that the boom swings very violently to the right or left. Extreme gingerliness is required to make it move nicely. I don't find this with the loader Etc., and was wondering if this is normal, or is theresome sort of metering problem? TIA, Russell

Replies5
  1. #1bluestreak2012-05-30 22:30

    Not sure about "violently" but if you are doing fine work or are new to a hoe, stomping the swing pedal will make a boom fly on a case. Once you get used to it you'll be thankfull for it when you are digging. Since you are new to hoe work I would say that it is working just like it is 'spossed to. You'll learn to get a better "feel" as time goes on.

  2. #2KingRanch2012-05-30 22:49

    I run a 580K and what you are describing is typical if you apply to much force to the pedals as bluestreak mentioned. You have to apply smooth steady inputs otherwise it will swing violently. It will get better as you become more comfortable with the machine.

  3. #3fpgm042012-05-31 00:43

    AEBY, A few questions that might help the experts on this forum assist you include: What RPM are you running at? (Keep in mind that full RPM is not an absolute requirement for backhoe jobs. In many cases it may be desirable to run at less than full RPM) Do you have foot swing controls or 2 hand stick controls where the swing is via hand movement? When you swing full left and full right at low idle do you get a cushioning effect where the swing slows down before reaching full swing? Or is it a hard hit at full swing? I am a little concerned that you reference having a 97K. Ks were not made in 97 by my records. In 97 they were L’s. Are you sure you have a K? If the person you purchased from mislead you on the year, then anything is possible.

  4. #4aeby2012-05-31 07:18

    fpg, I'm not sure it is a 97. It has hand stick swing controls.The foot pedals are for the extendahoe. My son who operates it most of the time says that he just has to be delicate with the levers. I have not noticed a cushioning effect at the end of the swing. I am very new at it and the way it swings so fast scares me that if someone was too close it would kill them if it hit them.

  5. #5alrman2012-05-31 07:48

    Take a look at this thread, it may help - HeavyEquipmentForums