Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K backhoe driveshaft/transaxle question

pdhntr ยท 2016-04-26 11:24

I am looking at a 1990 Case 580K, 2WD backhoe to buy. I crawled underneath to check out what I could. I grabbed the driveshaft and found there was some movement at the junction of the transaxle. It is not the universal joint. That is tight. Is this something that is serious? If there is a splined shaft that is sticking out of the transaxle, then it is a "collar" that is worn, not a bearing out in the transaxle, right? Thanks. Jim

Replies17
  1. #1Willie B2016-04-26 11:56

    I don't own a 2 wheel drive version. I have manuals. I'll watch to see if you get an answer from someone more knowledgeable before burrowing into the manuals. I would guess that side play is a bad thing. Is it leaking? Typically a worn bearing will wear out the seal. Willie

  2. #2pdhntr2016-04-26 12:06

    Thanks Willie, No leaking. The housing is dry. Jim

  3. #3Willie B2016-04-26 13:40

    Transaxle mainshaft rides on two tapered roller bearings. It will have provisions to adjust the pressure by moving the bearings closer together. Typically this is accomplished by adding or removing shims. I'd guess you need to remove a shim or two.I wouldn't trouble myself to do all that without replacing the gasket, and seal. If it is severely loose I might be concerned about wear on the gears .

  4. #4Willie B2016-04-26 13:56

    580 K is a good machine. I love mine as a loader. Mine is 4 wheel drive. I find it difficult to fill the bucket unless I'm operating in 4 wheel drive, or on a hard surface. The hoe on mine is an extend a hoe. The manual says it adds 2005 LBS to the tractor, part of this being tires, counter weight, but much of it being the dipper. Mine has a hydraulic thumb adding a few hundred more pounds at the very rear. Case hydraulics feed oil into one end of the valve, it passes through to the reservoir when not in use. Open any of the 7 sections of the valve, it blocks oil to those sections downstream. To move more than one cylinder at a time you must feather the valves. Feathering grooves in the spools allow some oil to other valve sections. Move two things at once, end travel of one cylinder, the other speeds up. Swing being the biggest challenge. When swinging near anything, don't attempt to combine any other function with swing. You are sure to smash something. If you want a smooth operating backhoe of this vintage, look for a John Deere. My '74 410 was a better backhoe. Joystick controls are important to me, though many swear by the Case controls.

  5. #5pdhntr2016-04-26 15:36

    Thanks Willie, I believe I found a schematic of the main shaft with the bearings and shims. It shows there is a splined shaft that the driveshaft collar fits on. I am going to have to go back and look carefully at the machine to find out exactly where the movement is coming from. It almost seemed to me, it was coming from the collar on the splined shaft, and not the main shaft in the bearings. Jim

  6. #6Billrog2016-04-26 22:15

    I had a 580K 4x4 ext hose and when I first grabbed the drive shaft when greasing the U joint and it flopped up and down I nearly crapped. Phoned a case dealer talked to the head mech. and he said that's the way they are right where the shaft goes into the rear end. Had it for a no. of years and it never gave me any grief. So may do a little more checking before pulling anything apart.

  7. #7pdhntr2016-04-27 08:26

    Thanks for this information. I find it hard to believe that is the way it is supposed to be, but this is the second time I have heard this about the input shaft. Yes, I think I will try to find a dealer/mechanic to talk with. Jim

  8. #8Grady2016-04-29 19:03

    pdhntr, some of those drive shafts have caps with a splined washer that retains the grease in the yoke where it slides over the splined shaft. Mine is 4 wd, too, so I'm not sure what yours looks like but get a parts break down and make sure all the parts are there. If it has that cap and splined washer and they have loosened up, the grease that helps hold it tight will push right out. Can't hurt to check.

  9. #9Willie B2016-04-29 20:18

    I crawled under my 4x4 I think the 4x4 has the same transaxle, with an extra output for the front axle. There is no movement in the input shaft at all, nor is there movement in the output to the front axle. The shaft with the parking brake rotor on it is real sloppy. It doesn't leak, but moves end wise 1/4" and side to side 1/16"!

  10. #10Buddyo2016-05-02 15:35

    pdhtr: I have a 1990 580k 2wd. It too has a loose collar not the shaft or the universal. Does not look like a big deal. Hope this helps.

  11. #11pdhntr2016-05-03 09:06

    After talking with two different service managers, both of them saying this is common and doesn't seem to cause any problems, I bought the machine. It runs good, drives good, and seems very tight. I guess I will find out for myself if it is a problem. Thanks everyone for all the help. Jim

  12. #12Buddyo2016-05-03 11:30

    pdhntr: Great, I hope it is a good machine. Mine has about 50 hrs running time that I put on it, no major issues. Just hoses, cylinder seals, wear items really. I farm and should have bought one 30 years ago. It had 4000 hrs on it when I got it and was a former municipal unit. You will have lots of fun with your new toy!

  13. #13Billrog2016-05-03 11:58

    Jim I bought mine with 4,000 hrs. and sold it with over 12,000 hrs and never had a problem with any of the drive train. Why it was made with that floppy shaft is a mystery to me but it never failed.

  14. #14Willie B2016-05-03 12:16

    Good luck. Somebody got rid of it. Odds are it'll have a few bugs in it. Get those worked out, Carefully inspect all hydraulic hoses, and replace all the suspect ones, change all fluids, it'll give years of service. Grease often.

  15. #15JRINST2016-05-20 18:56

    Hi new at forum and backhoes, I have a Case 580K SN 17427126. As i have read it looks like a phase 1 machine Help with drive train, driving in down the driveway when you let off gas, it clunks like a bad U-joint, (don't see one bad) as I was loading yesterday, it started clunking bad and wit a jump, like something broke. sounds like the ring gear/pinion ??? I need a manual and help. Looked on like at found the location of the serial/model plate, half is there, just not the part with the numbers(Grrr) Which tranaxel is in this machine. Help and Thank you.

  16. #16Willie B2016-05-21 20:26

    Mine is 17419794 1988. I have a 6" thick manual including parts, and service, somewhere I have operators. I'm pretty mechanical, but a funny noise is outside my field of expertise.

  17. #17oceanobob2016-05-21 23:20

    Sorry to detour on this thread which is about a loose driveline contrivance .... To JRINST. The phase 1, I can speak on esp the transaxle. The ring gear is mounted on a spool but not exactly like a car/truck, it is kind of a sandwich with shims under the brake covers to adjust preload and or orient from side to side for the ring to pinion clearance. The thrust bearings get a little loose and the ring can **** ever so slightly, this due to the high numerical reduction changes the loading on the teeth so they don't share and then overload occurs. There are quite a bit of pics and stories all about this on other posts in this forum. After you do some research, if you try and take this on, maybe if you dont mind make a new post so we can see how your repair goes along?