Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580K BACKHOE ELECTRICAL

reevesjo ยท 2022-09-24 06:42

Having start problem. Can someone tell me the location of the Starter Relay and the Neutral Start Switch on this 1990 vintage backhoe. I have the 10 pound Factory Manual with wiring schematic, but no picture of the location of things. Thanks, Joe

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2022-09-24 18:41

    The starter relay is located under the bonnet release flap on the RHS. You will see 2 relays - one is starter & other is return to dig.....from memory...... The neutral start switch location will vary depending if you have separate power shuttle & transaxle or phase 3 combined shuttle/transaxle transmission

  2. #2reevesjo2022-09-24 20:58

    Thanks alrman!! I found the Starter Relay earlier. The Return To Dig Relay is side by side closer to the front of the machine. Now I need to look for the Neutral Start Relay where you suggest. Then the fun begins, tracking the electrical path. This will take some time for the 87 year old ex-toolmaker. Joe

  3. #3reevesjo2022-09-28 18:28

    Final Problem (maybe): Wire 21A (white-red) leaves Key Switch and then disappears into a sheath heading downward in the side console and then it is broken somewhere along the way to the Starter Relay. In between the Key Switch and the Start Relay, there is a "PIN C OF CONNECTOR C" shown on the schematic, but I have not idea "where" this is located. My only solution is run another wire from the Key Switch to the Start Relay. If there is a better, easier fix to this problem, I sure would like to hear it.

  4. #4alrman2022-09-28 18:42

    Without looking at a service manual - my thoughts are that the problem plug will be one located under the floor below the dash - these are renowned for having issues with moisture. If that is the problem area - any disturbance to the plug will usually involve repairs to whole lot more wires.... The quickest way to sort your issue is exactly what you have suggested - running a new wire from switch to relay. But I guess that depends on how fussy you are with regards to keeping all things as original as possible.

  5. #5reevesjo2022-09-28 19:21

    alrman: It is 32 years old, with a few flaws. I am 87 years old with more flaws. A new wire is the answer unless some wizard comes along with a better idea. Or, someone else comes along and says "Step back and I will fix it". Thanks

  6. #6reevesjo2022-10-05 16:02

    PROBLEM FIXED!! 1990 Case 580K Backhoe that would not start. After proving the Neutral Start Switch was OK, and then while checking Key Switch to Starter Relay wire 21A, I could not find the Pin C of Connector C which should have been the only break. So, I ran a parallel wire from the Key to the Start Relay. Now it starts!! I don't see a tab to indicate Problem Solved. Thanks to all who tried to help.

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-10-05 21:41

    That is a classic example of a break in the wire due to rubbing on something, or a plug in the harness that separated or is corroded.