Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 580K backhoe won’t swing fully to the right

Johnhrich ยท 2013-02-16 15:08

The backhoe boom will not swing fully to the right. Goes almost to the stabilizer to the left, but only 1/2 way there to the right. I don't have foot pedals - just a 4 joystick (2 stabilizers, 2 for the hoe) in back. Where should I start looking for problem(s). Thanks,

Replies29
  1. #1alrman2013-02-16 15:48

    Check the swing cam & roller for wear, binding & adjustment This thread discusses it -

  2. #2Johnhrich2013-02-17 10:25

    Thanks alrman. Just the pointer I needed. And thanks to your previous posting of the commercial number for the cam follower, I can get it for 1/3 the cost of Coleman.

  3. #3Johnhrich2013-04-12 22:24

    Well, I finally got to the Bhoe, and replaced the cam roller, with the correct part that alrman provided. Unfortunately, while the cam roller on the hoe was bad (completely frozen) it wasn't engaged with the cam plate at all. See pic. I disconnected the pivot at the rod end #7, and the pivot moves freely. So I would then guess that there is a problem in the swing sequence valve(??). The boom swings evenly and at normal speed all the way to the left, and back to 1/2 way to the right - then just no more. It would seem that there's not connection at all between the swing sequence valve and the cam/pivot. What would you all recommend now as my next course of action?? thanks very much.

  4. #4alrman2013-04-13 02:13

    If the pivot #13 is free - be certain the clevis pin #2 at the spool is also free. There should be a strong spring tension at the spool to move it either in or out. I've never actually seen any internal problems inside those sequence valves - doesn't mean you don't have one though .... Will that spool move at all? For the system to work - the cam roller must be on the cam plate.

  5. #5Johnhrich2013-04-13 20:26

    Thanks again alrman. I checked the free movement of the pivot again, and the linkage didn't appear jammed. So, I used a rubber mallet and hammered lightly the linkage 'in' at point #7 which re-engaged the cam follower to the plate. It allowed the boom to swing all the way to the right, but once I swung back to the left the same problem to the right occurred. After a couple of applications of the rubber mallet it started working correctly. I lubed the spool with silicon and hope that it will continue to work. BTW, I also took the slack out of the rod from the F/R lever on the console to the shuttle on top of the transaxle - it required replacing the linkage to the rod as well as welding up and re-drilling the hole for the pin where the rod connects to the shuttle. I thought that I'd messed it up - since it wouldn't go forward/backward even though I could see that the shuttle was 'snapping' into place. What I have discovered is that if ANYTHING is not in neutral - both shuttle as well as the shifter - that it simply won't engage the transaxle. I have to turn it off, put both into neutral, and restart. Then it works fine. Any idea why it does that? is that the way it's supposed to work? THanks again for help on the swing problem.

  6. #6alrman2013-04-14 17:36

    Good news about the slew! Someting sounds screwed up with the transmission though. What you are describing is not normal. Not a 100% sure of what you are saying about this drive problem -"snapping into place" does that mean that you feel the transmission clunk & the machine jolt forward when it is engaged? Does the input driveshaft stop turning when this happens? Sort of sounds like it is going into 2 gears at the same time & locking up .... either fwd & rev or there are 2 gears engaged at the same time at the 4 speed.... will it drive with the 4 speed in neutral?

  7. #7Johnhrich2013-04-14 21:09

    Really sorry alrman. I missed some key wording in one of the sentences. " What I have discovered is that if ANYTHING is not in neutral when I start the backhoe - both shuttle as well as the shifter - that it simply won't engage the transaxle. Ie, I have to make sure that the shuttle and shifter both are in neutral before I turn the key on, OR, even though it will start, the hoe won't move. What I also meant about the shuttle 'snapping into place' was- I had the floorplate off, so I could see that the F/R shifter was moving the shuttle into correct position. So, I guess that it's more a question of 'is this the way it's supposed to work?'. If I turn the key off, move both F/R into neutral as well as the shifter, and restart, all works fine. Everything's working fine now, as long as I follow this simple rule.

  8. #8melben2013-04-14 22:38

    Never seen one that the 4 speed had to be in neutral. Just having the shuttle in neutral allowed the neutral start to work on any I've ever seen, I wonder if someone has added a switch somewhere in the tranny shifter.

  9. #9alrman2013-04-14 22:51

    It should drive regardless of where the 4 speed is during start up. Did this problem start after your welding repair at the transaxle control valve? Were any wiring plugs disconected during this repair? What is the driveshaft doing while the problem is present? ie - fwd travel selected in 1st gear?

  10. #10jimg9842013-04-14 23:30

    sounds like a power back feed to shuttle solenoid valve will release after ing is turned off put both in neutral before shutting down then start and try moving

  11. #11Johnhrich2013-04-15 13:03

    I agree that this is odd. No, the problem existed before I adjusted the F/R shuttle rod. Especially odd that it starts just fine if in any gear, as long as F/R is in neutral, just won't move. I haven't found any added switches, but there are definitely wires that are not attached. None that I disconnected while repairing. So far, none disconnected that would keep it from working. jimg984, the shuttle solenoid is broken, not connected to any electrical. I have to put it into neutral using the F/R on the column in order to shift gears. Hasn't been a big issue, but I just haven't ordered a new solenoid to replace yet. Would it have been connected, your comment makes complete sense. Or perhaps because there's not one there??? no idea.

  12. #12jimg9842013-04-15 13:11

    its normal to put F/R lever in neutral to shift gears in transmission ths for considering my thoughts on solenoid GL

  13. #13alrman2013-04-15 17:13

    With the trans cut-out solonoid disconnected - I can't explain this lack of drive problem when starting up with 4 speed in gear Can you answer what is happening to the driveshaft during this? What is it doing when started with gearshift in 1st gear - firstly with FNR lever in neutral & then with fwd selected?

  14. #14bill onthehill2013-04-16 18:01

    Do you have the disengage button on the shifter? Could be pinching a wire to it.

  15. #15Johnhrich2013-04-21 14:07

    alrman, sorry for the long time to reply. I did some testing, and it will start up as long as the FNR lever is in neutral, and the shifter could be in neutral or any gear. However, if the shifter is in a gear at start-up it won't move. Have to turn off, shift to neutral on the shifter, and restart. The drive shaft is turning the while time (after starting). If it starts with FNR in neutral and in a gear, there's no change to the drive shaft even if you move FNR to F or R - just won't engage a gear. Very peculiar. Bill, I have a disengage button on the shifter, but it's not connected to the shuttle solenoid at the top of the transaxle. A part as yet I need to replace. It's not like it's a big problem, since all I have to do is make sure that I'm in neutral in both places before starting. But strange nevertheless.

  16. #16bewilliams2013-05-09 22:58

    Please help! Just bought a 580 super k extendahoe 4x4 it was sluggish swinging to the full right and left I assumed it slowed to prevent over swinging! Now today I was swinging left from 3/4 right and I heard a loud snap sound. I lost all swing function pretty much. It will move if its to the right side and come back to center but will not leave from the center! Also I can't get it to go all the way up and lock in place. But I have not been able to do it yet! The previous owner showed me how but I can only get it to touch the lock. Main concern is the swing! I read above about the cam rollers. Can someone send a picture of what it's supposed to look like! Mine is bare metal!

  17. #17bill onthehill2013-05-09 23:07

    I sure would not be trying to move anymore without doing a good visual inspection looking for parts on the ground or laying loose under the top of the swing housing. Sounds like you may have had a frozen roller on the cam. Look for any broken or missing bolts also. Look it over good as broken parts in the wrong places can do a lot of other damage. Check also that you did not break the swing cylinders or their mounts.

  18. #18Johnhrich2013-05-09 23:45

    I would agree with bill, check out for anything broken or loose. it's dangerous back there with anything moving. attached are two photos of the cam roller. one is of the side where the new cam roller is installed. You can see the new metal - it's a roller on a shaft, held by the bolt on the bottom. BUT the roller is supposed to be always in contact with the plate to its right. So in the second photo, where the cam follower is connected on the other side of the pivot, I had to push (hammer gently) in the shaft that goes to the swing sequence valve. Once in correct place it started to work right. The attached drawing shows all together. #15/24 is the roller. #7 is location that I had to push in. I'll note that my problem was not sluggishness, but simply would only swing so far to the right. Moved at normal speed. So not sure that the problem's exactly the same.

  19. #19Johnhrich2013-05-09 23:48

    bewilliams, if you figure out how to get into lock position, let me know. I have the same problem - will only go up far enough to touch the lock, but not far enough to engage.

  20. #20bill onthehill2013-05-09 23:57

    Juice it up to almost full rpm and fold the bucket and dipper in. In one full pull stroke bring the boom up toward you and as it reaches the latch push the lever the other way. It is known as over center latching and is the same on almost all hoes. It takes a little practice. Keep your outriggers down and play with it a few times. You will get it.

  21. #21bewilliams2013-05-12 00:05

    I got it to lock up! Thank you for that! Mow I still gotta figure out how to get it to swing! My cam roller is wore to pretty much nothing! And so is the plate it rests on. If I figure out how to post a picture I will!!

  22. #22bewilliams2013-05-12 00:16
  23. #23bill onthehill2013-05-12 00:23

    The roller being worn should still not have produced the sound you heard. Loud sounds like you heard require further investigation. Look for something broken or fresh paint where something moved from it's normal position. Since you are new to the machine if you know another operator maybe let them try to move it gently while you watch for things moving or loose. Don't get too close where you can be squished or you could lay underneath the machine with it up on the outriggers.

  24. #24bewilliams2013-05-12 11:08

    Would blowing a cylinder make a sound or a sequence valve?

  25. #25Kathy Goldie2023-08-07 15:34

    Are these links still available? Keep getting errors when I click on any link

  26. #26alrman2023-08-07 23:19

    @Kathy Goldie try this link same thread just new link

  27. #27Kathy Goldie2023-08-08 00:08

    I'm sorry I don't see a link

  28. #28alrman2023-08-08 01:40

    @Kathy Goldie The blue print contains the link to the other thread, just left click on it.

  29. #29Kathy Goldie2023-08-08 09:05

    Thank you