Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580k brakes – oil sender

Buddyo ยท 2017-06-05 14:56

Hi all: A couple of questions: How do you bleed the brakes. I have the Powershift tranny and the PO put brake fluid in the brake system, should be case tran oil. Want to bleed to change fluid. I do not know where the brake cylinder bleeders are. Last question: On the dash is a gauge that does not work, it is the oil temperature gauge, it that the trans oil or hydraulic oil and where is the sender located for this. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Replies6
  1. #1Colonel Clank2017-06-07 13:47

    Buddyo , I have an '87 580k and may have a partial answer to your last question. I found an operators manual online for a 580L and it noted that the oil temp gauge is for the torque converter. My gauge doesn't seem to move much but I do not do much heavy loader work. The manual states that if it go s into the red the operator should select a lower transmission gear. If it stays in the red stop the machine, put the direction control in neutral and run the machIne at full throttle. There is a sending unit on the shuttle near the back and bottom which is easily visible when crawling under the machine.

  2. #2Buddyo2017-06-07 21:52

    Col. Mine is a 1990with the powershift tranny so the sender must be in a different place Thanks anyhow. On the brake bleed I found out from another forum that an inspection plate must be removed in the cab behind the seat. Working away at it now, rusted fasteners are making it hell. Under the plate and on top of the tranny where the axels abut their are two bleed bolts, one on each side. Will try to send pictures.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-06-08 07:51

    The bleeder screw is #10

  4. #4Buddyo2017-06-08 15:40

    Update: Got the inspection plate off, half of it, the half closest to the seat. The fasteners were so rusted they had to be drilled out afraid to drill near the cab glass. Cut the plate across the access hole for the tranny level stick. I'm a farmer, getter done. Well the bleed screws were so rusted I did not want to take a chance loosening them. Good news, I think, when the PO had his brother install new steel lines from the master cylinder back and he bled them where the steel lines attach to the rubber hoses just under the inspection plate. So I bled both lines at this point so the correct fluid is in the master cylinder and both lines. The bleed screws were not touched at that time so the original fluid should be in the slave cylinders - that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I hope this helps someone. Still wondering about the senser for the oil temp gauge.

  5. #5Tinkerer2017-06-08 17:28

    Here is a little info for a screen a lot of 580K owners are not aware of.

  6. #6Tinkerer2017-06-08 18:03

    This is a 580SE diagram but the K shuttle should be similar. The temperature sensor should be located in #23. I don't know why the parts book does not show the sensor.