Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K Brakes Sticking

580meyer ยท 2024-03-05 09:33

Hello All, I have a 89 case 580k and all of a sudden, I have brake issues. Last year I adjusted the brakes using the cylinders on top of the transaxle so that each peddle had about 1.5-2"" of play at the top. Everything seemed to be fine and I probably put about 100 hours on it before winter. This spring when I went to use the machine the first time I pushed the brakes they never released after letting off the peddle. I lifted the back end off the ground and readjusted the cylinders on top of the transaxle so the tires would turn freely. Still of the ground I then put it in gear at an idle, the tires turned slowly. I then pushed the braked peddle down to stop the tires. The peddle went down about 3"-4" the tires stopped, and when I let off they were still stopped. I pushed the peddle down again and it only goes down now maybe 1.5"- 2" from the top. I repeated the process and the same thing happened. It is like the pressure from the brake fluid is never released after letting off the brakes. The fluid in the rear end is full. Any suggestions anyone has would be great as I'm stumped!

Replies4
  1. #1eKretz2024-03-06 00:14

    Check all the linkage pivots. May be sticking. Pull 'em apart, clean and regrease everything. I've got the same problem on my 555D. I've been just hooking my foot under the brake pedal and pulling it up after using the brakes. I'll get under there and do the same thing I advised you to before long.

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-03-06 07:33

    There is linkage inside the brake housings that may be binding. There are also return springs in the assembly that could be the problem. The pedals should go down 3 to 4 inches to engage the brakes when they are adjusted correctly.

  3. #3580meyer2024-03-07 14:20

    Thanks for the ideas guys! Unfortunately, I still have a problem. This is what I did. I checked all the linkage and springs and everything seems to move and operate fine. I loosened both of the nuts on the top of the cylinders above the transaxle about a 1/2 inch. I pulled the pin out of the brake pedals so i could push down 1 side at a time. I pushed 1 pedal down and it went about halfway to the floor before it engaged the brake or stopped. when i let off the pedal came all the way back to the top i tried to push it again and the pedal would only go down about 1.5" Tried the other side and the same exact thing happened. It is like the master cylinders don't allow the fluid to be released when you let off the brake pedal. just keeps adding more. Does anyone know if there is maybe a check valve or what would cause this?

  4. #4alrman2024-03-07 23:52

    There are return springs inside the brake cylinders. Are the boots still on the cylinders? - these keep moisture out of the cylinders. The brake cylinders could be rusty. Are you using mineral/hydraulic oil in the master cylinders? (not brake fluid) Brake cylinders could just be gummed up & need a reseal & clean.