Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K – Did I break the dipper?

Zef_66 ยท 2014-10-20 09:00

I just noticed what looks like a small crack in the dipper of the extendahoe Case 580K when the extendahoe is all the way out. When I pull the extedahoe back in just a little, I can see what looks like the rest of the crack going up to the top of the dipper through the pin hole. I tried to take a video, but it didn't come out too well. But you can kinda see it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Zef_66/580K/VIDEO0005_zpsep3cxgxp.mp4

Replies6
  1. #1Hardline2014-10-20 09:26

    It's hard to tell. I could not see anything till the hole at the very end if the video. Looks like a possible crack running off the right side if the hole. A good cleaning and some good pictures are in order.

  2. #2Zef_662014-10-20 15:39

    Yes, I know the video isn't the best quality. It was late and getting dark and I didn't realize how crappy it was until I got home. I will try to get back up there tomorrow to get some better pictures. Thanks!

  3. #3Hardline2014-10-20 17:19

    Try to clean and maybe even buff off paint.

  4. #4alrman2014-10-22 18:48

    I don't think there is anything cracked at all - looks like a build up of grease that has been scraped from the slide area. Very difficult to crack anything in that region of the hoe....

  5. #5Zef_662014-10-24 12:47

    Thanks. I wasn't able to get any pictures a couple days ago when I was up there running it. It was raining and sleeting and just crappy. I stayed in the cab as much as possible. But I will be at it again tomorrow with some nice weather. So I hopefully will get some better pictures (if I remember). I'm really hoping it is not a crack. I will try to clean it up as best as possible.

  6. #6Zef_662014-11-04 11:49

    Sorry it has been so long. But this was exactly the case. The grease was built up in the gap between the wear plate and the dipper itself. A small screwdriver removed some of the grease and confirmed it was not cracked. Whew. Thanks for all your help!