Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k engine overheat ?

rdavison39 ยท 2022-11-10 21:57

Hi there - i had my fan belt go on me a few weeks ago. The reason I found out was because my engine stopped. Now, I'm not sure the engine stopped because it overheated when the fan belt went or gas was not being supplied (i don't think fan belt is involved with fuel pump) - I know it hadn't snapped for long because I had just looked at the alternator alternator was making a funny noise (and it was a cool day being up north here in Canada) but I suspect you don't have to run it long without coolant circulating to get the engine hot. After replacing the fan belt (which wasn't exactly straight forward imho) I started up the unit with no problems. I drove it up the hill and then after maybe 10 minutes of running I turned it off. I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the engine and looked closely and could see one of the tops of the fuel injector was "wet" compared to the others - almost like some fuel was leaking from it causing the smoke. Is the fuel coming out because (likely) the fuel injector nut was loose (as I write this I am not sure why I did not check - i think I just wanted to go home for the day). Or could the engine overheat in some way caused this problem? I'm not sure what the symptoms I would experience if I had caused damage due to the coolant not circulating Below are some pics of the fuel injector of my Case 580k circa 1990 Thx Ron

Replies3
  1. #1Billrog2022-11-11 11:09

    Clean it up so you can see if it's the pressure line or return line.

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-11-11 21:24

    The belt had / has nothing to do with the fuel system. By now you probably found that the injector nut was loose and causing all the smoke. Any engine I have ever seen that was overheated will leave no doubt in your mind that it happened.

  3. #3rdavison392022-11-16 00:18

    Okay - thanks Tinkerer. I just wondered why the belt snapping would cause the engine to stall.