Wondering if anyone may have some info on finding a replacement plug for the bottom of a phase 3 k fly wheel housing? I have been doing a major overhaul on my phase 3 580k and when working on the 4x4 shaft saw that the drain plug fell out of the flywheel housing, I've spent a considerable amount of time with several people at case dealers and they also directly calling Case but no one has been able to figure out the part number or what to get for a universal replacement, it appears to be a 1 or 1 1/16th inch hole. Anyone else had this issue?
Drain plug?? Technically, I don't think there is such a thing, as there is no oil in the bell housing. They are usually open. Someone may have fitted a plug to stop an oil leak that needed doing maybe?? If I recall, a small plug from a 44 gallon oil drum fits the bill.......
This is what I was referring to
since cleaned out and its a full threaded hole once all the gunk was washed out
Ok you got my curiosity as I have 580 SK. First, my machine does not have a plug in it, and apparently never has. The threaded hole is bone dry. I don’t know why you would need or want a plug as alrman stated. Reference link from Case part store link and picture below, item 17. Now to add to curiosity, the Case website does list a plug, however it is “used on models with PTO”. Therefore, from that viewpoint your dealer was correct in that your machine does not have a plug listed. To my knowledge the 580k series never had a PTO offering on the backhoe chassis, perhaps this is some carryover from the loader landscaper? In any case as you can see on the parts page, the threaded opening is listed as ¾” pipe tap which would coincide with your measurement of a little over 1” size. So if you really wanted to plug it, any ¾” pipe plug from a hardware or plumbing store would likely fit the hole as long as it does not extend down too far and conflict with the front driveshaft. Does this help or am I misunderstanding what you already covered/not-covered with your dealer? https://partstore.casece.com/us/casepartstore/parts-search.html#epc::mr54946ar751751bi4893645-17
The only reason to put a plug there is to keep dirt out.. The best fix is buy a 3/4 pipe plug, drill a 1/4 hole through the center, and put a cotter pin thought it. This will help keep the dirt out but still drain off any oil leakage. Other than that I would leave it alone.
Interesting, I saw there was a fill plug on the top, and a hole on the bottom so I figured the flywheel had an oil bath, actually one of the people I talked to at dealer said that you put Hytrans in there so I thought it had to have fluid in it. But that would explain why no matter how much I searched in the owners manual and service manual I couldn't find anything about the fluid requirement for the flywheel
I have a ck580 and it has a semi wet bellhousing, its all sealed up save for the plug at the bottom of the torque converter, It'll always have a little hydraulic oil in there, maybe some pump leakage but it has a sealed plug and I'm not sure if its pipe or straight threads, I'm guessing its straight with an o-ring, I pull it and drain it about every other oil change.
that hole stays open so you can tell when trans pump seal or rear engine oil seal leaks. Some machines did have a plug with a hole in it with a cotter pin in the hole but most of them were either on loader or dozers.
Hmm, mine doesn't have a cotter pin, just sealed up tight and it does collect some oil, keeps the ring gear well lubed.
You do realise that the machine model being discussed in this thread is a 580K - about 30yrs younger than a 580CK........?? Yours (580CK) has a plug because it needs to hold oil - it's a completely different transmission configuration.
I have pictures of My 580ck helping to build the pyramids but still, it runs great. I'm thinking a plug with a cotter pin would certainly help the OP with keeping dirt out of the underside in case there was some deeper water or mud encountered, you know, when that spot was way more muddy than you thought. Or does that become a fill plug down under?
I have actually seen a few engines fail due to mud entering the oil pan through the rear engine oil seal - because of that opening in the bell housing - true story. It was in crawler loader/dozer model machines - not backhoe.