G'day, I've got a Case 580K, and the fuel injection pump is leaking on side. There's a small cover on the side with two bolts diagonally opposed, and it's leaking out of the cover. The two bolts have a tamper proof wire through them, so I thought i'd seek advice before touching anything... The leak is just a steady drip, but the motor stalls if I try to accelerate quickly or operate at high revs. I'll see if I can upload a picture. Thanks in advance!
Give him some time to reply and if not in a day or so private message "thepumpguy"
That's an EASY fix.. Just cut the wire and unscrew the screws.. there is a cork gasket under the cover,, nothing is gonna come out but fuel. I have 100's of them but your across the pond, so that wont help.. ANY fuel shop will have them just laying around.. they should just give you 1.. You might just try to snug them up 1st.. or remove it and flip it over and try that.. IF you try to make 1.. the thickness is very important.. to thin and the screws will bottom in the housing before it gets tight.. AND REMEMBER>> you just drained the injection pump..!!! IT WILL start right back up but there is going to be a lot of air in the empty housing cavity.. Run it at IDLE SPEED for a good 3-5 minutes before reving the engine.. Good luck..
Look how clean that thing is. Very nice.
Thanks heaps for that! I thought I'd ask before cutting the wire in case there was some adjustment tied into those two bolts... I cut the wire and just tightened the two bolts a bit. It stopped leaking! It cut out once when I deliberately floored it to see what happens, but seems to be good the rest of the time. Re the cleanliness, I pressure washed everything when I was putting in a new radiator not long ago. It just does random farm jobs once every couple of months, so it takes a while to get dirty. Thanks again!
CHECK YOUR FUEL CAP VENT!!!!! Have done LOTS of these where the vent was plugged, fuel system pressure can build up to the point it blows out the top cover gasket - better check and make sure it's venting!!!
Thanks! Will do. That vent is in the actual cap? Nothing additional? Thanks again.
So I tightened up the screws and that fixed the leak. It still kept cutting out under load or high revs, so I replaced all 3 fuel filters. It runs great at low revs, but still cuts out at higher revs. I'm guessing air is getting in somewhere. Any tips?
There is a "hidden filter" under the big 15/16 nut at the pump inlet.. Its plastic.. Remove the inlet nut.. remove the hold down spring.. HOLD THE GUTS DOWN with a small screwdriver.. and w/ a 90* scribe or pick.. feel around the outside of the endplate.. and pull the filter out.. Blow it off and reinstall.. Hope this helps.. TPG DONT FORGET.. HOLD THE GUTS DOWN BEFORE REMOVING FILTER>!!!!