I have fuel squirting out if the top gasket on my fuel pump, case 4-390. Can I just remove the top cover and replace the gasket. From what I hear there is much more to it then that.
Is it a CAV pump
Once u get the top cover loose, you’ll see a main gov spring and an idle spring.. It’s VERY IMPORTANT that you pay attention to what holes the spring is in.. I wouldn’t take it apart until u get the replacement parts/gaskets.. U can go to eBay/Amazon and get a mini kit to reseal the top cover only.. it costs between 9-12.00 w/free shipping.. Just Google CAV DPA top cover leak.. One more thing to watch for is.. when putting the cover back on, MAKE SURE u engage the shut off bar w the nub on the shut off shaft. It’s a diy job.. BUT.. the cover shouldn’t spray out fuel for no reason.!! REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER..
There's a ton of info on this issue here on HEF This thread may help. While not a 580K this thread has really good pics of what's under the lid of the CAV pump.
Pump guy, thanks for the info. I had already taken the cover off before I read your post. I think the gov spring was in the top hole. I say that because I couldn't see any others until fter I unhooked it, so I think it was the top one. If I get it wrong what would happen ? The gasket looks brand new. I had the machine at a shop that made alot if mistakes when working on it. I'm not sure its the correct gasket as it is extremely thin. I bought some gasket material and made a couple today. One thick out of cork and one thinner, both fuel/oil resistant. I also bought black rtv form a gasket. I didn't put anything on yet. I read another post about checking the filter. I have a new inline filter I put in but it's before the pump. Is their one in the pump or after the pump that I should be concerned with ? Should I use the gaskets I made or wait for one to come from Amazon. I am in the middle of a project but its not worth doing it wrong or half a$$ed to save time. Thanks again.
Yes I believe so
Don’t try to make a gasket and DONT USE RTV.!! Wait for the correct gasket.. Look at the bottom line of the name plate..ex: 57/900/1/2175 The 1 is the spring code.. does yours have that.??
Does your pump have a shut off bar.?? The thickness of the gasket will interfere w that bar hooking up to the shaft..so don’t make one. There is a filter under the inlet nut. BUT don’t mess w it unless u have a fuel starvation problem..& then there are instructions u must follow.
Pump guy thanks so much. I waited to do anything until I heard back from you so there is no form a gasket/rtv used. I did make a couple of gaskets that look like they would work but i didnt put one on. I'm gonna follow your advice and order one. I'm so glad this site is here and guys like you are on it !
I don’t mind one bit helping someone fix a leak.. or help diagnosing a no start condition.. What I do mind is, someone trying to rebuild their pump, who has no idea what they’re doing, refuses to look for a pump rebuild manual (available on the web for free in most cases). Have no idea where to get parts, special tools..& don’t own a torque wrench.!! AND THEN asks why it doesn’t work.. But I’m the d!ck for not helping..
It does have the shut off bar I think and I will look for the spring code. Attached is a photo of the leak. It's blasting out a there pretty hard. You can see it just pushed the gasket out Maybe I do have a plugged filter? I've never had any fuel starvation though.
Also I'm not able to attach a photo. I've been a member for about a year and have had a few posts. Maybe I'm doing something wrong
I bought an old case 580k with no experience at all. I had to ask the guy who delivered it how do I get this thing off the trailer lol. I'm semi mechanical and have learned the hard way in my younger years to be careful and not rush things and get expert advice on here first. Im using it on my own property so i have the time to be patient. I had one repair done by a professional shop and I will never go there again. If I told the whole story on here you guys would be horrified. So if I can fix it myself with advice on here that's what I do. You all have alot of tolerance for my lack of knowledge on heavy equipment and diesel engines.
This is the gasket that was leaking