Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k hydraulic pump leaking

rdavison39 · 2025-07-28 20:39

Hi there - it seems i have a leak which i think is coming from the hydraulic pump. It's hard to see or pinpoint but its not leaking oil and its dripping down over the front axle so i'm pretty sure its the pump. I'm looking for some advice on the first steps to ascertain that it is in fact the hydraulic pump. It appears quite a job to get to it - looks like i have to remove the front counter weight. If there are any suggestions on first steps please let me know. Case is circa 1990 Thx Ron

Replies15
  1. #1Tinkerer2025-07-28 21:29

    If you need the service manual send me your email address in a private message. I also need to know where your gearshift is located. Is it in the floor or in the side console?

  2. #2Steve Favia2025-07-29 08:21

    Had a leak similar to your location on my 580k,coming from the top of the front axle,ended up coming from the trans cooler.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-07-29 08:35

    I did have a hard line split on my Case 580 that went to the pump, that I had to braze. The other 2 times I had leaks there, it was the oil cooler lines.

  4. #4Tinkerer2025-07-29 09:42

    Be sure to clean the suction screen !! It would have been nice if John Deere had a similar set-up.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-07-29 10:02

    Where is the suction screen?

  6. #6Tinkerer2025-07-29 13:02

    Look under the radiator. It is in the reservoir (frame) next to the pump. The suction hose on the pump goes right to it. It is about 4 inches in diameter. 6 bolts. Strangely there is no mention of it in the operators manual, only the trans-axle screen.

  7. #7rdavison392025-07-30 02:51

    Thanks Steve - is there a separate fluid system for the trans cooler ? or does it use the same fluid in the radiator ?

  8. #8rdavison392025-07-30 02:54

    Hi T - I am assuming this is not easy access (and will I need to have an empty hydraulic fluid tank in order to replace/inspect). Thx

  9. #9Steve Favia2025-07-30 09:44

    It fills through the hydraulic tank.

  10. #10rdavison392025-07-30 09:47

    Thanks again - and I suspect the only way to inspect the trans cooler is to remove the counter weight at the front?

  11. #11JBrady2025-07-30 12:22

    If you find out it is the pump that is leaking, be sure to inspect the front engine mounting bolts. They have a tendency to break which causes vibration which can cause the front seal of the pump to go out. My 590SL leaked fluid from the front seal when I first got it. Through this forum I learned how all those components go together and how important it is to keep the front of the engine secure. I found one broken bolt and worn out bushing. I replaced both sides and my pump stopped leaking. I am pretty sure you can check both of those bolts fairly easily with a wrench in the engine compartment and one from the bottom of the machine upwards. There are quite a few threads on here about it.

  12. #12Steve Favia2025-07-30 16:09

    No I didn’t mess with the counter weight,I removed the hood and cover over the top of the counter weight you can get a look at the botton of the hyd cooler saw my leak there,hope that helps,good luck.

  13. #13rdavison392026-05-09 07:50

    Hi HH - i have found (i think) the root cause. I believe its in the cooler lines - i can see the exact spot because its behind the hydraulic pump but i do see something dripping (very slowly mind you) but enough to get the blue paper towel damp. How did you fix the line ? If you take it off I'm assuming all the hydrualic fluid will come out unless you cap. If you unfasten the metal cooler line is does it come out without having to remove pump. I've read many guys replace the metal line with a hose... any insight would be great. Thx

  14. #14HarleyHappy2026-05-09 10:17

    It could be that hard line or the seal on the pump. I think it’s probably the hard line but have to make damn sure before yo tear things apart. Since it’s not spraying, it’s low pressure, whatever it is. I would not replace with a hose but that’s me. I would get that hard line off and weld or braze it. Is there any way to get a good light and a mirror, to see the actual leak? Think I would plan on draining oil after verifying where leak is. I have 4 rubber hoses, going into my oil cooler, they give me fits, blowing 3 different times so far and the last 2, the oil leaks are still visible, all over my gravel driveway for 400’.

  15. #15Joe Friday2026-06-10 19:05

    Thanks for all the advice you guys have given, as I am dealing with this right now as well...