Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580K Ignition alarm

mhobson · 2026-01-18 06:05

Hello, The members gave me a lot of help trying to sort out the starter relay on this digger, thankyou, for what would have taken me about a minute on most other machines where to replace the relay you just lift the bonnet, pull the old relay out of its socket and replace with a new one, on my digger the 75amp relay was bolted to the chassis behind the plastic panels just to the left of the fuse box. Just to get access I had to remove and lift the high plastic section which housed light switches, had to remove the rev counter panel and starter switch panel to lift the plastic housing and support it with wooden blocks just to get limited access to the relay, it has taken me ages, but finally the digger starts and runs well, with, so far, one exception. Normally when you turn the ignition on there is a loud siren which turns off as soon as the engine is running. On the digger now that siren turns off as normal, but as soon as the forward/reverse lever on the steering column is turned to forward or reverse, the siren starts screaming again, turn back to neutral it turns off. Can someone guide me the the cable that I must have upset to cause this issue. The digger works well, drives forwards, backwards and the front and rear buckets work as they should. That Cummins engine sounds so good, no smoke wonderful, wish my Case 485 tractor was as good.

Replies4
  1. #1Bootheal2026-01-18 08:22

    Parking brake (or linkage) might be putting a slight pressure on the alarm?

  2. #2mhobson2026-01-18 09:20

    Parking brake has never worked since I bought it in 2011, but I lifted it as far as it would go and dropped it hard a few times, no change. If it is likely to be the cause, maybe I could look for the cable connecting the hand brake and disconnect it. But thank you anyway.

  3. #3mhobson2026-01-18 10:02

    Where would I be without the help from the wonderful gentlemen from your site. Went back to the digger again, walloped the handbrake a few more times and hey presto, siren stopped, thank you very very much Bootheal.

  4. #4Bootheal2026-01-18 17:36

    Very welcome. I’m no mechanic, just know that causes noise on my machine.