I recently purchased a 580K Phase 3 loader/backhoe. I am in the process of getting the gauges working again (corroded wiring contacts), thanks to gggraham for the excellent info provided in thread . The new question I have for you folks is this: How much lateral play is acceptable in the transaxle's input shaft? I seem to have at least 1/16" and perhaps as much as 1/8", detectable by moving driveline up/down (or side-to-side, if you prefer) observed at the yoke at the front of the transaxle. Note that this is not a u-joint or worn driveline problem, nor does it appear to be a case of the yoke loose on the input shaft. Instead it appears to be play in the roller bearing which probably surrounds the input shaft entering the front of the transaxle. I do not notice any vibration or noise while operating the machine, I do not see evidence of fluid leaking (the transaxle's oil level is correct), nor do I find any visible damage at this location. I just would like to know how much "slop" is okay in this shaft/bearing. Could someone please advise me? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
drempfer, welcome to HEF Those driveshafts are built with alot of clearance - when SK's were new people often complained about the excessive 'play' there. If the actual input shaft is tight & it's not leaking oil - all is good!
Thank you, alrman. I feel a bit better about this. I'll keep an eye on it tho.