New to the forum. I recently acquired a case 580k; phase 1, that is missing the serial number tag on the frame under the left door. I am looking for the factory stamped serial number on the frame. The case dealer told me to look on top of the frame; behind the left rear wheel, but I am unable to find the number. I did not sand off the paint. How obvious should the number be? I do not believe the machine has been repainted (it should not have serval layer of paint making it difficult to see. One of the other posts that I looked at found the number on top of the frame above the step. If it is there, it is not easily recognizable. Any help would be appreciated.
If you look just under the floor plate on top of the frame just above the left step you can just see the s/n
Thanks for the reply. I have looked in this area and did not see an obvious number. Should I remove the cab floor pan and wire brush the top of the frame rail to bare metal? Is the number usually reasonably visible with good lighting?
Welcome to HEF @Big Bear Case 580K When you raise the engine hood - it's not on the top of the chassis on the LHS ?? JJG*******
Thanks for the reply. I am keeping the backhoe at my father in laws place; near where we plan to build a home next year, and will check both locations when I go there tomorrow.
Thanks for the information. I found the chassis serial number today where Coy suggested. It was roughly centered on top of the frame rail; above the left step, directly behind the cab mount weldment. I needed to lightly sand the paint to see it, but it appears to be stamped fairly deeply in the frame rail. The oil lines in that area do get in the way a fair amount and you will need a mirror and light to see it. Thanks again.