Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580k – replacing inline fuel filter

rdavison39 · 2022-05-17 11:37

Hi there - i went to change the 2 fuel filters on my case 580k along with the inline fuel filter. When i went to change the inline fuel filter I couldn't find it. There is a spot where i can see it has been cut out so I guess I've been running it for last few years without it. I'm assuming I should re-insert it (not sure why someone would want to cut it out) ? Wondering why one would in-line if there is another larger filter anyway ?

Replies8
  1. #1Billrog2022-05-17 11:43

    It may be ok without it but I always installed a new one on my BH. A dealer was the only place I could find one with large enough ends.

  2. #2cosmaar12022-05-17 19:28

    My 555e didn’t have one and I installed one just because. It’s a lot easier to take that off and clean it out then clean the whole bowl assembly and replace a $40 fuel filter.

  3. #3cosmaar12022-05-17 19:30

    The filter shouldn’t have ends any bigger than 5/16 or so. Try Napa or Oreiley’s.

  4. #4alrman2022-05-17 19:55

    The 580K filters are 3/8" Donaldson number P550974 for the inline filter along the chassis. Some (SK's) have one connected to the lift pump Donaldson number P550433. These are only a screen to protect the lift pump. If they get blocked up & new one isn't readily available - they often get replaced by a bit of fuel hose. This is carried out by folk who are not the sharpest tools in the shed.....

  5. #5cosmaar12022-05-17 20:00

    I was close on the size! Still should be able to find them locally. Good luck! Cheap insurance!

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-05-18 08:04

    It appears there are 145 substitutes for it. https://www.fuelfilter-crossreference.com/convert/DONALDSON/P550974

  7. #7rdavison392022-05-23 12:59

    Great. Thx guys for the advice

  8. #8melben2022-05-24 19:12

    There maybe many subs but the original filters are not paper pleat, they are a very fine screen, metal instead of paper. Fleetard are metal screen also. I think that Fleetgard may make Case OEM filters but not certain about that.